Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Dec (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   How involved is your SO/DH with the purchasing of baby things? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462054)

keonli 11-09-2012 09:00 AM

How involved is your SO/DH with the purchasing of baby things?

DH has absolutely no interest in giving me his input on things we need for the baby. Like even on car seats...he has no input. He kind of just tells me to get whatever I like/want. I guess it's because he trusts me to get the best type for our child, but I'd really appreciate some feedback from him because it makes me feel a bit alone in this.

Is your DH/SO the same way? Is this a man thing? :headscratch:

slimy72 11-09-2012 09:28 AM

Re: How involved is your SO/DH with the purchasing of baby things?

My Dh doesn't care if I choose something, but he will give his input on what he likes. Especially on car seats. He trusts me to do the research and then we go together and try them out and he installs them too and works the straps and then gives his input on how he likes to use them, but gives me the call over safety research. For strollers, he likes to to push them around, try them out see if they're tall enough, but again expects me to have an idea on what we want/need and then he goes with to the store to try them. I honestly think my husband is more involved than any other man I know. My brothers, my SIL's husbands and my friends husbands don't care at all, except maybe to point out that they won't carry a pink diaper bag (which my husband will, he'll even use my pink ergo). So I kind of don't think your dh is out of the "norm" I think mine is.

evasimone 11-09-2012 09:34 AM

Yep. DH really could care less. He actually hasn't given me any input on what to buy. When I show him things that I bought he mostly feigns interest. I think he has no clue what a baby needs, I don't really either but I guess he thinks I do.

keonli 11-09-2012 11:55 AM

Ah, so that's the norm. I feel better then. When I told DH he needs to start thinking about the baby, I came home after work to find a brand new 3D tv in our bedroom.

my2sweets 11-09-2012 01:01 PM

My dh doesnt care either lol Picking out a crib was quit funny. He trust me 100% with getting the best for the baby and he knows I like it so he lets me have at it. He just wants me to be happy since Ill be the one using/looking at it the most :wub:

AniMommy 11-09-2012 01:37 PM

Ugh - think I have it worse. My DH says he wants to have input and then takes a million years (or never actual gives any feedback) Then when I go buy X item he gets pouty that I haven't consulted him.

For ex. the car seat. Baby #1 was due in 4 weeks. Still no car seat had been purchased even after I had emailed him a choice of 4 or 5. Him - well, my aunt can get a us a discount one (she lives 150 miles away and we had no plans to go to visit before the due date)...

1 week later - Me: DH, which car seat do you want to get? Him: I don't know. Why do we hav get it now? Me: You do know that they wont let us take the baby home from the hospital without a CAR SEAT!!! Him: Are you sure? It's our baby.

4 days later - I go to Target and get what was in stock and not any of the ones I had really wanted. But then I did want to be allowed to take the baby home from the hospital :). Him - You got a car seat? I thought we we're going to have Aunt Suzie get us one. How much did you spend?

He did the same thing when plannng our wedding. I'd rather just pick out stuff when I've made a decision than "pretend' to include him.

moonsandmarshmellows 11-09-2012 03:24 PM

It's the norm around here. DH never wants to give his input (unless it's an eye roll) on anything. No baby items, no kid items, no gifts, nothing. He just says "do what you want".

It was extremely aggravating when he was doing it with our first, I wanted him to be involved as much as possible, but it just was never anything he was interested in.

It was equally as annoying with the 2nd, but at that point I was just like w/e.

3rd and 4th? I really haven't even asked him about anything.

penelope picklebottom 11-09-2012 07:08 PM

Little to no input here. He did mention he likes the color brown so could I get a brown diaper? He also made a point to tell me he prefers snaps over aplix because he doesn't like diaper chains in the wash, but could care less if I buy prefolds, fitteds, all in ones etc. He is good about choosing Christmas and birthday gifts for the kids and likes to help pick out the holiday outfits but he rarely knows what sizes the kids wear, what they need and if I asked him what we need yet for the new baby he wouldn't have a clue. To be fair, all that's left on the list is socks and a baby bathtub, but he doesn't know that. I don't mind too much because it gives me the freedom to choose what I like, but there are times when I would like him to give me a little more input or even just ask what else needs to be done/ purchased before baby arrives.

jlsquire0324 11-10-2012 09:03 AM

DH is only particular about a few certain things... Basically the stroller. It has to be a Jeep stroller. Period. Haha... He doesn't care about much else, but the 40lb stroller he really really cares about... And he cares about the kids toys and sometimes clothes. He was also very very insistent that DDs first pair of shoes be Baby Toms (they won't fit her for a while but they are sitting in her room.. :giggle:

keen1981 11-10-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsquire0324
DH is only particular about a few certain things... Basically the stroller. It has to be a Jeep stroller. Period. Haha... He doesn't care about much else, but the 40lb stroller he really really cares about... And he cares about the kids toys and sometimes clothes. He was also very very insistent that DDs first pair of shoes be Baby Toms (they won't fit her for a while but they are sitting in her room.. :giggle:

Eeeeekkkkkk! Has he never seem a BOB?! Lol! They eat jeep strollers for LUNCH ;)