Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do your children call other adults? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462357)

chandni3 11-10-2012 01:05 PM

How do your children call other adults?

I was brought up calling other adults Mr/Miss/Mrs Last name. Close friends were Aunty or Uncle First name. Nowadays I know hardly any kids that do that. I plan to raise my daughter how I was, but it seems so rare. I'll probably do Aunty/Uncle First name with close friends and I'm thinking I might go with Mr/Mrs First name as it almost seems people will be offended to be called by their last name, like it makes them feel old. What do you do with your kids or are you ok with them calling adults by their first name?

Icryinbaseball 11-10-2012 01:10 PM

Re: How do your children call other adults?

They adress adults as mr. or ms. first name.

JennTheMomma 11-10-2012 01:12 PM

My kids call other adults by their name. It is not common to call people Mr/Mrs/Sir/Miss here. I've never met someone who was offended by being called their first name, that is their name to begin with. I don't call my friends Mrs___ and to me kids don't need to either just because they are younger. They call aunts, uncles, cousins and so on by their first name too. Grandparents are different though, grandma, grandpa, noni, papa.

I prefer for my friends' kids to call me by my first name. I don't like to be called Mrs.___ or miss/ma'am. It seems unnatural to me. We only say Miss/Sir to strangers. I also went to a school where we called our teachers by their first names instead of their last because of equality or something like that.

7 for now 11-10-2012 01:46 PM

My kids call adults Mr./Ms. First name. I personally can't stand the aunt uncle thing if they are not truly an aunt uncle. My kids also answer questions with yes/no mam/sir. Manners are important to us.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

qsefthuko 11-10-2012 01:57 PM

My kids call their teachers Mr. Or Mrs. Ms drives me nuts. If all you give me to say is Ms. I will use Mrs. Adult friends are called Mr, Mrs, Miss or in the case of those with the same religion my kids are taught to say brother or sister so and so.

Adult family members are Aunt or Uncle so and so. Grandparents are either grandma/grandpa or Papa/Nani. As a child I was taught to call my Dad's adult cousins Aunt and Uncle. It just seems more respectful to me.

I don't require my children's friends to use any special terms. That is up to their parents to teach them not me.

MrsHappyGoLucky 11-10-2012 01:59 PM

I second the Ms/Mr first name. I like the aunt/uncle thing for close friends, but I remember growing up being confused who was actually related to me. The only ones we'll have our LO call aunt/uncle will be our two closest friends who are married and also her godparents. Being from Oklahoma it's considered a sign of respect to call someone Ms/Mr and ma'am/sir.

abunchoflemons 11-10-2012 02:01 PM

So & so's mom or dad or sis usually. I was told teachers were mr.or mrs. Or miss. Last name. & I think friends too or just last name.

ARogers 11-10-2012 02:04 PM

My LO's address adults as Mr/Mrs/Ms First Name.

crazyeyesmcgee 11-10-2012 02:10 PM

We do Mr or Miss first name. Most of my friends teach their children to do likewise. Personally, it strikes me as rude when other children address me strictly by my first name.

cbreeding 11-10-2012 03:06 PM

We do Mr./Ms. (although it often is said as Miss) First Name unless we are introduced to them as Mr./Ms. Last Name. Close friends/family are by their first name. Each Grandma is Grandma First Name, etc.