Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Family Planning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Getting off BC pills and Hashimotos (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462442)

sweetgrace 11-10-2012 05:42 PM

Getting off BC pills and Hashimotos

My husband and I are wanting to expand our family. I am currently on BC pills due to my cycles becoming almost non exsistant and hormone issues. I am wondering when is the best time to stop taking the pill so that it is the easiest on my hormones. I'm hoping I will be able to go off of the pill and not be a beast to be around and also praying I will actually have a period once a month.

Also, any mamas with Hashimotos? I was diagnosed this past spring and am still learning about the disease. Have you had any issues getting pregnant? Any problems with abnormal cycles? I have Hashimotos but am not on any thyroid meds. My thyroid tests come back within normal range. Any information that you could offer would be greatly appriciated.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-10-2012 06:10 PM

Nothing helpful to add about your question, but wondering how you got your Hashimoto diagnosis. My mom has it, and I keep getting thyroid panels done every six months bc I have so many of the symptoms, but they all come back normal. I feel like my doctor isn't actually taking me seriously at all. :-/

Which bc pill are you using?

I've always assumed that the best thing to do is finish out your current month so that you're next AF comes as scheduled. Then usually they say about three months before you'd be successful ttc. Though I've beard of plenty of people getting pg the first cycle off of bc.

sweetgrace 11-10-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Getting of BC pills and Hashimotos

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 15919513)
Nothing helpful to add about your question, but wondering how you got your Hashimoto diagnosis. My mom has it, and I keep getting thyroid panels done every six months bc I have so many of the symptoms, but they all come back normal. I feel like my doctor isn't actually taking me seriously at all. :-/

Which bc pill are you using?

I've always assumed that the best thing to do is finish out your current month so that you're next AF comes as scheduled. Then usually they say about three months before you'd be successful ttc. Though I've beard of plenty of people getting pg the first cycle off of bc.

A thyroid panel will only show you your thyroid levels. They have to test spacifically for the antibodies for Hashimotos. Thyroglobulin Auto Antibody and a Thyroid Peroxidase Auto Ab should be run. Also, I've heard of people who have NO antibodies at all and still have Hashi's! Are you on Facebook? A good page to look at is Thyroid Sexy (weird name I know). This is Gena Lee Nolans page. She used to be a Bay Watch babe. She has Hashi's and is trying to spread thyroid awareness. Lots of good info on tests that should be run and other wonderful suggestions :) Yes, please don't let your doc tell you your 'fine'. I felt sick for years before I finally got a nurse practitioner that immediately thought I had thyroid issues and ran a number of tests and what do ya know? Hashis! I am sorry you are not feeling well. It stinks when you know your body is not running full tilt but the docs just shrug it off. I hope you can get diagnosed soon and on your way to recovery! It is a hidden disease for sure.

Yeah, I was thinking to maybe finish off my pack. I am taking Mircette.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-10-2012 07:50 PM

I'm on reclipsen right now. I've been on ortho-tricyclen in the past and the only issues I had when coming off of it were my periods spacing out a little more. But they stayed pretty regular after the pill. They didn't get wonky again until after I had kids.

I did have some sort of antibodies test run, but I'm not sure how specific it was. I'll have to ask them. I'm going in for a check up bc I'm planning to start running again (used to run for fun) and want to get checked out first to get an all clear. Thanks for the specific names of those tests. I'm going to ask for my records and see what they tested for.

Rdesonia 11-21-2012 01:06 PM

Re: Getting off BC pills and Hashimotos

I have Hashimotos. I was diagnosed in the end of 2000/beginning of 2001 (I started the synthroid Jan 2001 due to my TSH being elevated). I had pretty regular periods. I got off BC Jan 2002 (New Years..mid cycle). I conceived my son in Feb 2002 (born 11-18-02 @ 40w 2 days). I then went on Depo for 1 year after I had my son. I was not on BC after that and had regular periods. I got married on October 10, 2010. (10-10-10) I had AF 10-11-10.... I got a positive test 11-11-10 and DD was born 7-11-11 @ 39 weeks.
So yeah...I'd say Hasimotos didn't effect me getting pregnant.

After I had DD I again got on Depo (the day I left the hospital). I got off the depo (March) and I have not yet had a period. I blame it on the depo not the hashimotos.