Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Your best granola recipe! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462559)

Only 11-11-2012 06:00 AM

Your best granola recipe!

My brother is overseas and LOVES granola. He asked me to make him some. I'd like something healthy with lots of good stuff. He needs it. They've been living off MRE's and three or four hours of sleep.

Share, please! :)

stacy32613 11-11-2012 03:15 PM

Re: Your best granola recipe!

This is my go-to website for great food, but I haven't made the granola recipe. I always just buy it from the bulk bins at Whole Foods or somewhere :) We go through so much granola here I'd go crazy trying to make that much!!
100daysofrealfood .com/2010/04/04/recipe-granola-bars-cereal/
(I added spaces because I'm too new to post the link...just remove the spaces after you copy and paste :)

drabekgirl 11-11-2012 03:53 PM

look up homemade nutty granola its high in protein (2c of nuts) and super easy to make. In fact I just finish making some a little bit earlier.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-11-2012 04:15 PM

6 C old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 C brown sugar
2 C sliced almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, sunflower seeds
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
Combine these dry ingredients with spoon or hands.
2/3 C Oil (coconut or other)
2/3 C Honey (or maple syrup). I use 1/3 honey and 1/3 maple syrup

Pour these wet ingredients over top, stir well with spoon.
Spread in a large casserole dish or 2 cookie sheets. Bake at 300 for 10 minutes, stir, 10 minutes, stir, another 10 minutes - be careful not to brown too much or burn outside edges. It usually takes it an hour to cook.

My kids and I ate it super fast. They didn't mind the chia seeds even! haha. Tammy's Recipes' Website has a peanut butter granola that I'm going to try next, but this will definitely be my normal recipe (got it from a friend).

danielle 11-11-2012 05:23 PM

Chocolate Granola

Mix together:
5c oats
4 TBS cocoa
1c sliced almonds
1/2c other add in like flax seed, sunflower seed, coconut
Pinch salt
1 TBS cinnamon
-----------
In a measuring cup, mix together:
1c honey
1/2c coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract

Add everything together. I use a Kitchenaid because it gets thick.

Spread out on parchment and cook for 1 hour at 225. Take out, stir and return for a half hour. Shut the oven off and leave in for another hour.

Eta I've made this at least 50 times. I've made other granolas but this is what my family loves. Also, I got sick of the stir, stir, stir. If you reduce the heat on any granola and cook it for longer and stir it at an hour, it will be fine. Just start watching it at 45m.

tesslouise 11-11-2012 06:56 PM

I just made the Jif Peanut Butter Granola on allrecipes.com and it's awesome. I made it as written, with peanuts, raisins, and figs, but next time I'll probably play around with it.

My mom's and sister's standard granola is the NY Times Olive Oil Granola, but with 5 cups of oats instead of 3. That's a great, basic, flexible recipe. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/dining/151arex.html

krispy79 11-12-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies
6 C old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 C brown sugar
2 C sliced almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, sunflower seeds
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
Combine these dry ingredients with spoon or hands.
2/3 C Oil (coconut or other)
2/3 C Honey (or maple syrup). I use 1/3 honey and 1/3 maple syrup

Pour these wet ingredients over top, stir well with spoon.
Spread in a large casserole dish or 2 cookie sheets. Bake at 300 for 10 minutes, stir, 10 minutes, stir, another 10 minutes - be careful not to brown too much or burn outside edges. It usually takes it an hour to cook.

My kids and I ate it super fast. They didn't mind the chia seeds even! haha. Tammy's Recipes' Website has a peanut butter granola that I'm going to try next, but this will definitely be my normal recipe (got it from a friend).

This is basically our recipe. I omit the salt. I also add flax seed and wheat germ (add wheat germ after liquids or it will suck them up). We also add dried fruit after cooking, and switch up nuts.

Sent from my (not so)Smartphone using DS Forum