Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dinner for friend with no onions/peppers/spice (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462714)

reneeumiami 11-11-2012 04:16 PM

Dinner for friend with no onions/peppers/spice

Help! I offered to take dinner to a friend who's recovering after a week long stay in the hospital. She requested non-spicy food with no onions nor peppers. I'm lost. Every casserole, soup, and easy to transport dish I can think of at least starts with sauteed onions. I could leave them out, but I'm afraid it'd come out flavorless.

I have chicken, canned tuna and bacon on hand, as well as lots of squash, potatoes, and several different frozen veggie mixes. I'll make some kind of bread to go with the main dish. Any ideas?

Ontariomama 11-11-2012 04:24 PM

Tuna noodle casserole? Tuna, cooked noodles, some sort of cream soup, frozen peas, topped with cheese. :-) Good, warm comfort food.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

danielle 11-11-2012 04:34 PM

I love tuna casserole! Make it by marinading the tuna in lemon and salt(usually garlic too). Cook up some barley or (less healthy) egg noodles. Make a quick roux with celery. Saute minced celery in butter, add flour then milk and stir to thicken. The celery should give it good flavor. Layer the barley, tuna and thawed frozen veggies into a casserole, pour the roux on and top with some cheese. It's my guilty pleasure.

Also, maple minted carrots are delicious without onions.

stevensmom 11-11-2012 04:34 PM

Re: Dinner for friend with no onions/peppers/spice

lasagna?

mommagruber 11-11-2012 04:37 PM

Chicken Noodles
or dumplings

reneeumiami 11-11-2012 05:19 PM

My recipes for chicken 'n dumplings and lasagna both call for lots of onions. Would they work without them? I'd make some to "test" on my family, but DH's favorite food is Indian, so he's just going to hate anything without spices/onions/peppers before it hits the table. I've never made tuna casserole. Maybe it's time to change that. :)

issybissy 11-11-2012 05:45 PM

You could make sandwiches...cook and shred the chicken, add coleslaw and cheese atop rolls for cold sandwiches..or sauté mushrooms and top the chicken with mushrooms and swiss.
Or you could do a homemade pizza topped with chicken?
Or pizza and diced chicken salad.
Or chicken noodle soup (sauté without onion), bread, and salad?
What about some Chinese type food? Easiest thing ever! Some Chinese noodles, even have used thin spaghetti, or those quick 3min soup noodles in a pinch. Steam a packet of frozen veg. Add to hot wok wit some oil...sauté, add a tablespoon soy sauce and a T. oyster sauce ( we use a veg version called mushroom oyster sauce) add more of each to your liking. Can even serve with a roast chicken (prepared in a rice cooker! Marinate your chicken, can be whole or in pieces...add into rice cooked without any water or liquid. Set to white rice. It shuts off when chicken has finished. Trust me. Awesomely cooked throughout without dryness! )

Holly dolly 11-11-2012 06:12 PM

I always cook without peppers (I don't like) and onions (dh doesn't like). I use garlic as seasoning and cheese helps add flavor too!!

Could you do soup?? I make veggie beef soup without onions and as long as I use tons of other veggies its fine without onions. I use tomato juice instead of beef broth to help add flavor too.

mamatoclaire 11-11-2012 06:49 PM

DH and I hate peppers and onions. I'd just skip them! We've never found the flavor lacking :)

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

qsefthuko 11-11-2012 06:59 PM

My husband is allergic to onions. I make all the regular foods everyone else makes but simply skip the onions. The exception of course would be onion soup, leak soup, or anything that is basically one item plus onions such as liver and onions.
So spaghetti, lasagna, chicken soup, cream soups, beef stew, tuna casserole, etc. Onions are not necessary for a good meal.