Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462840)

krismark0 11-12-2012 06:14 AM

Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth?

I am due in February and I have $2500 per person deductible. I have been counting on having to pay that deductible for both baby and myself at delivery...so total of $5000.

However, we just got our insurance enrollment papers for next year and they give an example of costs...and they used "having a baby". Under this example, the baby's hospital charge is under the mother's deductible.

I could swear that I paid a seperate deductible for my daugther when she was born, but maybe I'm wrong. (We had better insurance then, so the deductible wasn't very much...I would have remembered for sure if it was the $2500 we have now!)

Anyone know how their insurance covers it?

Ainmemphis 11-12-2012 07:18 AM

My insurance did not count baby's bill towards second deductible, everything went under me and once I met my deductible we were done paying hospital expenses on the both if us.

neuro_mom 11-12-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Does your insurance charge seperate deductible for baby at birth?

I had 2 deductibles - one for baby and one for me. My lo was in the NICU so I don't know if that made a difference or not.

7 for now 11-12-2012 07:43 AM

Baby is covered under my copay without having a separate one. I have to pay $150 copay for inpatient care. Baby will go to NICU when born and will be covered under my $150 copay no matter how long he is here.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Holly dolly 11-12-2012 08:19 AM

I was charged separately too. They sent it in one bill under my dh's name (he holds the insurance) but there were charges for me and charges for the baby.

Mrs_B2009 11-12-2012 09:16 AM

With my daughter we had a separate deductible for her, we got a separate bill for the visits from the pediatrician, hearing test and the other stuff they do in the nursery. We didn't get a room & board bill, that was included in mine.

For this LO, I don't know, but I'm assuming a separate deductible. Dh needs to call, so I will add this to our list of questions!

kanga1622 11-12-2012 04:30 PM

My policy states one inpatient copay if mom and baby leave the hospital together. If baby stays longer, then mom and baby have separate inpatient copays.

If mom and baby leave the hospital together, everything gets billed to mom and falls under just her max out of pocket charges.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

lilg82882 11-12-2012 04:55 PM

I work at an insurance company. Obviously I can't speak for all companies but at mine as long as baby goes home with mom it all gets billed under mom and her deductible. But if baby has to stay then it gets charged under baby an applies to baby's deductible. Or in the case of no deductible you pay one inpatient copay unless baby stays longer than you each pay one.

teacherpippi 11-12-2012 05:24 PM

Yes, but we should have the family deductible met by then, so it won't really matter.

PerfectFifth 11-12-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanga1622 (Post 15925996)
My policy states one inpatient copay if mom and baby leave the hospital together. If baby stays longer, then mom and baby have separate inpatient copays.

If mom and baby leave the hospital together, everything gets billed to mom and falls under just her max out of pocket charges.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Same here.