Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   sleep help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462885)

brayden2020 11-12-2012 08:36 AM

sleep help!

DD is 8 months old and if EBF. She wakes every two to three hours to nurse still. She isn't hungry, she just wants to suckle. She would nurse all night long if I let her! I can get away with switching for a paci sometimes, but she still wakes back up within an hour. I'd rather not co sleep because my husband is a heavy sleeper and rolls around, not to mention it causes neck and back pain to myself.
What can I do to train her to sttn? I'm not sure the CIO method would work for her...She has major crying stamina and would cry for hours on end of I let her. I'm desperate for sleep and so tempted to switch to formula if it meant sttn:( I never had this problem with my ff babies.

Teexie 11-12-2012 07:53 PM

Re: sleep help!

My DD is still like this many nights at 18 months, especially when she is in pain from teething.

Does she nurse to sleep (or need the paci to fall back asleep) every time she wakes up? She could just be used to falling asleep with the boob, and doesn't know how to fall back to sleep without it. All babies (and adults) wake several times throughout the night, it's just learning to get back to sleep on their own that keeps them from crying. The author of the No Cry Sleep Solution has a method of gradually teaching your baby to fall asleep without nursing. It is in the book (obviously lol) but here is a link explaining it: http://www.pregnancy.org/article/whe...d-pantley-pull

(I have no experience with this, as we cosleep and I'm lazy so just choose to nurse my DD back to sleep every time, so I have no personal experience with this :))

brayden2020 11-12-2012 08:07 PM

She needs to nurse to fall back asleep. I wouldn't mind nursing thru the night if it didn't kill my back and shoulders!
I was reading some other post and apparently she is to young to night wean so I need to wait till she's a year :( this sleep deprivation is killing me! She also stays so hot while sleeping she sweats and gets me damp...and my dh does as well. I'm wet from both sides lol

VeganCupcake 11-12-2012 08:12 PM

My DD and I coslept with her crib sidecarred to a futon mattress very close to the ground. Could you and your DD move to another location to sleep together? I also slid away from my DD when she was asleep so that I had a bit more space. This was possible on a full-size mattress with her in the sidecarred crib, but was much harder even in our king size bed.

essential1892 11-15-2012 09:40 PM

I was in the same boat as you- my daughter would wake up all night to nurse. My other two kids, who were also breastfed, night weened themselves (ds co-slept but weaned night weened at six months and dd night weaned at 3 months and absolutey hated co-sleeping) so I was completely unprepared when baby #3 decided to be completely different from her siblings. I couldn't bear for her to cry so we co-slept and I nursed her whenever she woke up- my back and shoulders killed me every morning and I never got a good night's sleep.

She just turned one and finally a couple of weeks ago she started to sleep through the night. She didn't do it on her own- I actually let her cry, though she honestly would cry for a the most 15 minutes and then fall asleep. She'd wake up a couple of times, cry for a few minutes and then fall asleep again. I never let my other kids cry at all at night but I felt like the all night nursing was really taking a major toll on my health and sanity.

Honestly- I think if her waking up is becoming detrimental to your well being then maybe you should try to let her cry a little; she may surprise you and fall asleep after a few minutes (though I would not let her cry endlessly because I would feel bad). Like you said, maybe even a bottle with formula in it at her night feeding would be worth a try. Also, make sure she is nursing enough during the day- if she is then I see nothing wrong with her being night weaned, especially since it seems like her night nursings are just for comfort and not really a nutritional need. This is most likely why my baby did not sleep through the night and my other kids did- she hates pacifiers and the others loved them.

I am no expert on this though- I am just a fellow mom who also at one time was desperate to get a good night's sleep

brayden2020 11-16-2012 07:27 AM

thank you for your response. I just may do so :-)

greencrunchymama 11-16-2012 07:48 AM

My DD is doing the same thing- I feel like I nurse her 7 times a night. :( I feel your pain.

dudleypippen 11-16-2012 12:32 PM

No advice really, we are going through the same thing here, just hugs! I get so frustrated sometimes that DS slept better as a newborn than he does now at 7 months. Just know that you are not alone and EVENTUALLY they will sttn (or at least that's the lie I tell myself to make myself feel better in my sleep deprived state!) hang in there mama!

Teexie 11-16-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brayden2020
She needs to nurse to fall back asleep. I wouldn't mind nursing thru the night if it didn't kill my back and shoulders!
I was reading some other post and apparently she is to young to night wean so I need to wait till she's a year :( this sleep deprivation is killing me! She also stays so hot while sleeping she sweats and gets me damp...and my dh does as well. I'm wet from both sides lol

Then try the pantley pull-off in the link I posted. I sort of do this with dd (it just kind of happens naturally, where I shift away from her before she falls asleep) and she definitely sleeps longer on those nights. I go back to nursing her to sleep during the rest of her night wakings so I dont know how it works if you do it all the time!

Cleokatrah 11-16-2012 09:37 PM

We have the same "problem". My daughter will very rarely sleep without my nipple in her mouth. I will remove it as gently as I can and she will wake, root, and then cry. She, too, has a very sustainable cry. It can take upwards of two hours of crying, whining, and unhappy squirming to get her to sleep without nipple. Bottles or pacis don't work.

I will probably end up disassembling her crib and just admit I need to bear through cosleeping. It hurts. My shoulder screams by morning, and my back and neck hurt too. I also have a naturally hard time falling asleep so I usually lounge in our chair until i'm tired enough to fall immediately asleep. We start with baby in the middle then I move her to the edge between myself and the bed rail when hubby goes to work. I get 5-7 hours sleep a night and I can function fine on 5 so it is mostly working out.

It IS frustrating. Nights are long and it bothers me that I'm "wasting" hours that could be spent crafting/organizing/etc but I know it well be worth it in the long run. I just tell myself that this is my daughter's way of forcing me to relax and just spend these moments treasuring her - when I'm nor thinking of how uncomfortable I am.

What helps immensely for me is that I get some stretching or light yoga in whenever I manage to wake before she does. I'm a little overweight so I can't do much yet, but what little I can do makes a huge difference. Good luck to you!