Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is there a way to childproof the hose spigot? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462928)

Kiliki 11-12-2012 11:59 AM

Is there a way to childproof the hose spigot?

My kids are 5.5 and 4 and they love LOVE to play outside. :goodvibes: They frequently play outside while I piddle around and do laundry and dishes and prepare their lunch.

But they are turning on the hose when they shouldn't. :banghead: They know they are not allowed to, but they do it anyway and wind up soaking wet and muddy. (not to mention drive my water bill up and WASTE so much water!) They don't do it everytime they go outside, but they do it often enough that it's making me upset and I don't want to punish them b/c I know they can't help themselves... playing in water is awesome! :giggle:

Are there are devices that keep kids from being able to turn on the spigot?

BTW- we're in FL, it's still hot here, so no, they are not outside freezing in the water. And I don't have an issue with them in our fully fenced in backyard unsupervised for short periods of time, I'm not looking to debate whether that's ok or not. :thumbsup: And sitting outside with them while they play is usually not an option. I have a 19 mo old that stays inside with me. I only go outside and sit if the baby wants to go play. But honestly, it's hot, and I have a TON to do, so I am just not up for sitting on my duff outside while they play for hours and supervising them to keep them from turning on the hose. So, a childproofing thing would be a better option. :)

mcpforever 11-12-2012 12:15 PM

Re: Is there a way to childproof the hose spigot?

We have a splitter that has valves on it I find difficult to switch open. Our 10yo can sometimes do it, but he really struggles with it. They are sold in the garden section at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Another thought would be to turn the water for outside off from inside if you are set up to do so. Both of our outside faucets have a valve in the basement that we can turn off.

MDever 11-12-2012 12:33 PM

You should be able to remove the turny bit so that you either need the spigot or you need a plier to turn it on. My BFF's children put the hose downthe vent to her gas furnace:banghead: and flooded the basement so we figured this out the hard way for her.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-12-2012 12:46 PM

I was going to suggest turning it off from the inside too.

I know you said you don't want to punish them, but personally, I probably would. I would ground them from being outside for the rest of the day or from TV or something. It would probably only take a couple times. Then, you wouldn't have to do anything that required jumping through hoops to turn it on and they wouldn't mess with it. That is what I did when we had this problem. Different strokes for different folks though. (mine are 7, 4, 4) :)

Kiliki 11-12-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 15924753)
We have a splitter that has valves on it I find difficult to switch open. Our 10yo can sometimes do it, but he really struggles with it. They are sold in the garden section at Lowe's or Home Depot.

we have that already and the kids can work it easily. oy.

Quote:

Another thought would be to turn the water for outside off from inside if you are set up to do so. Both of our outside faucets have a valve in the basement that we can turn off.
we don't have that capability.

Thanks for the ideas tho!

Kiliki 11-12-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDever (Post 15924806)
You should be able to remove the turny bit so that you either need the spigot or you need a plier to turn it on. My BFF's children put the hose downthe vent to her gas furnace:banghead: and flooded the basement so we figured this out the hard way for her.

Oh no! That's awful! YIKES!

There's really nothing they can do to ruin anything, besides their clothes. They usually just make a lot of mud, and then splash in it/dig in it/cake it on themselves. ... which isn't a big deal to me *IF* they have permission.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 15924837)
I was going to suggest turning it off from the inside too.

I know you said you don't want to punish them, but personally, I probably would. I would ground them from being outside for the rest of the day or from TV or something. It would probably only take a couple times. Then, you wouldn't have to do anything that required jumping through hoops to turn it on and they wouldn't mess with it. That is what I did when we had this problem. Different strokes for different folks though. (mine are 7, 4, 4) :)

I guess one of the reasons I don't want to punish for it is b/c it's not consistently bad behavior.

So, for example, they do this maybe every 15th time they go outside to play. I scold them, make them come inside immediately when I catch them, wash them up and they don't go outside again the rest of the day.

Problem is, that's more a punishment for ME than for them. B/c then I am the full-time entertainment committee. Which is okay most days. But sometimes I just need a break and be able to focus on housework b/c my house is getting upside down.... and that is usually when I run them outside. So, when they wind up back inside and punished, it's more frustrating for me than for them. KWIM?

At any rate.... I talked to DH and he said he is just going to take the spigot off. He said it's easy to put on and take off, and we don't use the outside hose much anyway, so that won't create any serious issues for us. We'll just store the spigot in the garage, which is, like 10 steps from the hose. No big deal.

Thanks mamas!

mom2LBJ 11-12-2012 01:40 PM

you can buy a lock for it. My inlaws own a car-lot in Houston and had people using their water at night. They found out when their water bills were extremely high, so they put a lock on all outdoor water spigots.

http://www.amazon.com/Faucet-Lock-Wa.../dp/B001C1FERK

ETA- I remember theirs had a different lock more like this one-
http://www.amazon.com/Conservco-Wate...hose+bibb+lock

Kiliki 11-12-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2LBJ (Post 15925075)
you can buy a lock for it. My inlaws own a car-lot in Houston and had people using their water at night. They foudn out when their water bills were extremely high, so they put a lock on all outdoor water spigots.

http://www.amazon.com/Faucet-Lock-Wa.../dp/B001C1FERK

thx! I forwarded that to DH. He's our handyman Mr Fix-it. :) That doesn't look too bad really, since we rarely use the hose.

luvsviola 11-12-2012 03:44 PM

We have a lock on ours. Our water bill is $150+ a month. We don't want punk kids to turn it on! There are some teens in our neighborhood who turn them in in the morning just to be mean. A neighbor had a $900 bill. I hate our water co. Anyway, DH ordered them through our local independent True Value store.

danielle 11-12-2012 05:37 PM

Wow, our water is $120 a year! Can't imagine $150 a month.

Why not pull the handle and use a sillcock key wrench? Then only people with the key can turn on the water.