Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   not happy with his nursing habits (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462935)

JenniferLovesEmily 11-12-2012 12:41 PM

not happy with his nursing habits

My ds is 17 months old, nurses on demand, sleeps in our bed at night attached to my boob, and naps primarily in arms only. I know its habit and he is capable being apart because he is fine and naps fine at school 830-330 Mon and tues. For my sanity, something at home needs changed. I don't mind nursing on demand except he thinks if sit down its an invitation. I don't mind cosleeping if he didn't need to be attached to me. It would be fantastic if he napped not in my arms.

Would it be better to guide him into a nursing schedule/routine, sleeping on his own for naps and/or night, or tackle both issues at the same time?

Sent from DS Forum..... probably while nursing.... please interpret accordingly

UVASahm 11-12-2012 12:55 PM

Re: not happy with his nursing habits

I don't know about the nursing, but I would tackle the naps before the cosleeping at night. You are more likely to stick to it when you are not overtired.

JenniferLovesEmily 11-14-2012 09:17 AM

Bump for more help

Sent from DS Forum..... probably while nursing.... please interpret accordingly

Katie Mae 12-03-2012 09:01 AM

I agree with working on naps/daytime nursing first. I'm having a similar issue with DS who's the same age, and I've tired limiting nursing at night and that is so hard because I just want to sleep and it feels easier to just nurse than do anything else. That said, I read somewhere that sometimes it is okay just to say no. If what you are doing isn't working, you've got to change something. DS has a tantrum sometimes if I do, but sometimes I say no and can distract him with something else. Granted we haven't been very successful with anything at night yet, but some days I can get him to not nurse the majority of the day by distraction and other food (because he's hungry).

Momo3angels 01-13-2013 01:15 PM

My 15 month old sleeps with us and naps mostly in my arms or in the ergo on my back. She too likes to think when I sit down it is time to nurse. She even grabs her blanket. I try to put her down on occasion after she falls asleep in my arms but she won't sleep for long on her own. It does seem to work better when I have my husband take her to her bed. I too feel like I need some time to myself and wish that I could put her down then I try to remind myself that this age won't last long. One of my most favorite things is holding her while she is sleeping.

luvinmybaby! 01-31-2013 06:21 PM

I'd like to follow this post, I'm having a similar issue. I don't know that my DS can fall asleep without breast feeding, in the carrier, or riding in the car. I don't know how to get him to sleep without one of these. I didn't have this issue with my daughter. He is sometimes so obviously tired, but wide awake until I feed him.

MunkyCrazy 01-31-2013 07:17 PM

This was totally my older two, and I'm heading down that path with #3. I know I need to stop it before it becomes habit, but I don't know how! It's so easy to do especially when boob calms crying fast and easy.