Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New to CD and LO keeps getting a rash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462943)

Mandrice 11-12-2012 12:18 PM

New to CD and LO keeps getting a rash?

I started cloth diapering a couple of months ago and at first everything was fine but now it seems like every time I put a cloth diaper on my 10 month old she gets a rash. So I switch her to disposables to treat the rash (don't have CD friendly cream) and it clears up. Then when I put her back in cloth and the rash comes back! I was washing the diapers with a homemade detergent, baking soda, and a "laundry ball" but I recently read that baking soda is a big no no for cloth. So I stripped them by washing them with a squirt of dawn. She is still having problems. Please help, I don't want to go back to disposables!

Ky-Momma 11-12-2012 12:44 PM

Re: New to CD and LO keeps getting a rash?

What kind of cd do you use?

nonipie 11-12-2012 12:47 PM

Do they smell?

Mandrice 11-12-2012 01:10 PM

They were smelling but after I washed them this last time (once on cold, twice on hot) they came out fine. They used to smell really bad of ammonia when she would pee but they haven't done that so far since washing them. I have happy heiny's and kushies.

Yarnjess 11-12-2012 01:20 PM

I would guess that either they're not getting clean enough (leading to ammonia) which can cause a rash, or the soap isn't rinsing out all the way. An easy way to tell if there's detergent build up is to put the clean diapers in the wash without any soap or detergent and see if you get soap suds. If you do, keep rinsing them until they're rinsed clean and try again. If that's the case you'll have to tweak how much soap you use so that it gets rinsed out (we had this problem). If that's not the issue, bleach the diapers to kill any lingering bacteria caused by the ammonia and make sure you're using enough detergent to get the diapers clean. Or try a different detergent. It's also possible your LO is allergic to something in your detergent and only reacts to the diapers because their in continual close contact with sensitive skin (we also had this problem). Just some things to consider.

hokiebear 11-12-2012 01:49 PM

Also make sure you are drying her bum really well after wiping before putting on the new diaper. I wasn't doing this at first and it caused a lot of rashes also.

nonipie 11-12-2012 03:03 PM

I'm thinking the detergent just isn't working well so you have lingering bacteria. Either use more and some bleach or another detergent entirely.

RockinLou 11-12-2012 03:16 PM

change to a good detergent, and toss a little bleach in for lingering bacteria. Sounds like the diapers weren't getting clean. Tide is easily accessible and lots of people love it.

BirthdayMama 11-12-2012 03:30 PM

I agree that it sounds like they're not getting clean. Switch to a non-homemade detergent and use some bleach. I can't tell you how many times I've talked to someone who was having rashes when using homemade detergent on diapers. It's a bummer because I love the idea of homemade detergent also. I am currently using it on my kids' clothes, but it just doesn't cut it on the diapers.

abunchoflemons 11-12-2012 03:36 PM

Sween cream & maybe tweek wash routine.