Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is it mastitis?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462963)

jessreichenbach 11-12-2012 12:55 PM

Is it mastitis??

I woke up in the night and felt engorged on 1 side (which is strange because its been a LONG time since i've had that feeling, DS just turned 1 and he usually only nurses 1 or 2 times in the day and 2 or 3 times in the night) I nursed my son, took him back to bed and woke up this morning to it feeling even more painful, but it was not hard, swollen or engorged to the touch, it just felt painful like it was. Throughout the day it has not gone away, its just on one side and sort of isolated to a lower quadrant of my breast. it almost feels like a very bad bruise that you accidentally bump when it gets touch, or moved or bumped or anything. I've been battling a headache/fatigue all day but i chalked that up to being up until midnight cleaning and then choosing today of all days to give up coffee. There was no redness or anything until just now, theres a fairy faint pinkish splotch the size or a quarter right about the same place that hurts... could this be the onset of Mastitis or something else?? I am currently without a DR. (Hubby took a new Job and our insurance doesn't kick in for another 2 weeks!!) so I don't even have a nurse to call and ask! ANy help would be great!!

sillymama 11-12-2012 01:07 PM

The two times I've had mastitis I felt like I had the flu. It csme on fast and hard. I was miserable, running a fever and slightly delerious. My guess is that it is more likely a clogged duct. Try a warm compress, and if you have a hand pump, try pumping a couple minutes every few hours. If you start running a fever then it is more likely an infection and you will want to start antibiotics.

Alaga 11-12-2012 01:14 PM

I agree, it sounds like a plugged duct. I get them when I get dehydrated. Drink lots of water and nurse/pump as often as possible until it comes loose. Good luck, mama!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

jessreichenbach 11-12-2012 01:20 PM

Re: Is it mastitis??

Thank you ladies! I've never had an issue (this is baby #4 and i've been nursing for 3 years straight right now) so this sudden onset of bad pain took me by surprise. I deffinately don't drink enough water... I think maybe I'll go load up a big cup now.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-12-2012 01:24 PM

To me, it sounds like how mastitis can start. I'd nurse on that side first whenever you nurse and nurse often. Massage that area as you nurse to make sure you are empty. Warm compresses can help too. I've had mastitis several times over the years and it usually starts like this. If I don't pay attention to it, it'll get infected pretty quickly, which is awful. :( I actually am having this right now on my left side. It stinks. I hope yours clears up soon.

jessreichenbach 11-12-2012 01:27 PM

AAhh! Thats what I was afraid of, that it was maybe starting. The side effects of being exhausted and giving up coffee this morning (I drink 2 cups a day, and have for 10 years!!) so I have the headache and body aches and general tired feeling which I thought was just from that... but then I started putting the pain, general crap feeling, and headache all together and thought.. OH NO!!

kirst 11-12-2012 02:37 PM

I had mastitis that started like a clogged duct like that. I did have to go on anitbiotics for it. But if you don't have a doctor or insurance, you might want to try the cabbage leaf thing first together with the warm compresses and massage. You just buy regular cabbage and bruise a few leaves all over (I banged them all over with a spoon) and then tuck a leaf inside each cup of your bra, so the leaves cup your breasts. The chemicals inside the cabbage leaves are astringent and will help to draw out the clog. You might be able to nip it in the bud, especially if you pump and drink a lot of fluids.

Liadan23 11-12-2012 03:34 PM

it could be the start of mastitis, or it could just be a clogged duct. a clogged duct will quickly turn into mastitis though if not treated. i'm prone to mastitis and get it repeatedly in the early weeks of bfing. lots of fluid, lots of rest, and nursing the baby often usually clears it up for me. warm compresses help, as well as nursing in several different positions to fully empty all areas of the breast. even if i have a fever, this is my routine, and it usually clears it up quickly. i've only had to go on antibiotics once. and it's because i never did develop a fever and so let it go way too long thinking you couldn't have mastitis without a fever. not true, it was very bad. if in 4 or 5 days you haven't cleared it up,fever or no, i'd start looking around for a dr, just to make sure.

cabbage leaves can help. but be careful, they'll dry you up pretty quick and you don't want that. i only used them while weaning my ds, and it dried me up in a couple days.

jessreichenbach 11-13-2012 04:25 AM

thanks ladies, I'm drinking fluids, attempting the rest part (but we have a craft fair on saturday and well, I procrastinate) and letting my little one nurse as often as he will, Its more red and more painful this morning but no other definite symptoms like fever and flu like feelings. Hoping this is just a clog that will clear up!!

crazyeyesmcgee 11-13-2012 06:50 AM

Good advice from PPs. I wanted to add, you could try a super hot shower and aim the spray at the inflamed area. Then use soap and massage firmly down towards the nipple, this will help release the clog. This always helps me more quickly than pumping.