Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Diaper pail stink (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463000)

spcops05 11-12-2012 03:07 PM

Diaper pail stink

I haven't found a solution to keep my diaper Pail from stinking.. We have a safety first pail with a nice kanga wet bag liner.. Sprinkled baking soda under bag and have a deodorizing Disc in place.. Still smell the stink after dipes have been in there a day. Never had an issue with sposies in the diaper genie! Any tips?

adjroberts 11-12-2012 03:12 PM

I have a newborn nursery scentsy scent pak beside my pail. Works like a charm for us.

kirst 11-12-2012 03:23 PM

Re: Diaper pail stink

lavender essential oil...I put a few drops on a cloth and put it in the bottom of the pail, outside of the wet bag. But I have found that the plastic pail which lines the inside of the stainless steel step garbage can I use as my diaper pail has pretty much become permeated with the smell of urine, so that even if no diapers are in there and it is freshly cleaned, the plastic itself smells like urine now. I figure I will just get rid of it when I'm eventually all done with diapers in the house, and hopefully be able to find a pail that will fit inside the stainless steel outside part.

Maybe the essential oil will eventually permeate into the plastic, too.

meahr29 11-12-2012 03:24 PM

I cut up some fleece squares and put some drops of tea tree oil (trader joes) on them and drop the fleece in the pail. It helps curb the stink for about a day to day and a half. After that I either do laundry, or add another square of fleece.

nonipie 11-12-2012 04:01 PM

I would suggest taking the lid off.

BirthdayMama 11-12-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonipie
I would suggest taking the lid off.

Yup.

jessnic 11-12-2012 04:43 PM

If the plastic in the pail is stinky saturate with vinegar and let it sit outside. Scrub with baking soda and Dawn and rinse well. It killed the smell in my diaper pail and in a litter box that got super awful.

ClothAngel 11-15-2012 03:54 PM

I use a Diaper Dekor (similar to the diaper genie but it can be used with any type of bag not like the diaper genie, but holds smell amazingly!!

ktgrok 11-15-2012 04:01 PM

Try cleaning the pail itself really well, then using a plastic trash bag instead of a cloth wet bag. The wet bag may be letting odors permeate through it. Just a thought.

Holly dolly 11-15-2012 04:08 PM

I have a lid and have never had smell until I take the lid off our can. I make sure mine is in a cool location...not in a warm room or in the sunshine.

As soon as I throw diapers in the wash I toss a little bit of bleach in the bottom. After 15 minutes or so I add about a gallon of water. I dump out after another 30 minutes or so and let it airdry.