Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Ergo infant insert (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463022)

crunchyNurseMommy 11-12-2012 03:04 PM

Ergo infant insert

I didn't buy an ergo until my son was 8 months & 25 pounds. When he was a newborn/smaller infant, I used a moby & I liked that because he was so close to me but only could wear it for an hour or so before it hurt my back.
For those that have used the ergo with a newborn/small infant, do you find the fit comfortable? Is the baby secure & cozy?
Thx!

organicmama10 11-15-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Ergo infant insert

I'm curious as well. Got one recently to try whenever the little babe decides to come!

klynn 11-18-2012 05:21 PM

I got my first Ergo when my son was 1 so I didn't need the insert. When my second was due I bought the insert because I thought I'd use it. I HATED it. It comes with this pad thing that makes the baby sit up so high that he was both unsturdy and in my face. I used my ring sling for the first 6-8 weeks because it felt much more secure. When he got too heavy and was hurting my back I then switched to the Ergo and I simple swaddled him in a blanket and then just used the Ergo regularly. Alternatively, when he wouldn't stay swaddled I just rolled a receiving blanket and put it across the bottom under his butt for something to sit on. Before they are big enough to have their legs out around the sides you can put them in with their feet tucked up under them froggy style and it works really well. Hope that helps!
I've also used them with my girls - now 8 months so I've done it recently!

Bellaroo 11-18-2012 09:24 PM

I hated the insert. So much so that I stopped using the Ergo altogether.

My son was 9lbs at birth and I never felt like I got a great fit with the insert. Made it way too bulky and seemed uncomfortable for him.

Frogmama 11-18-2012 09:54 PM

If you tie the moby snugly it shouldn't bother your back. but if you are wanting something more supportive from the start I would check out a Beco Gemini, support without the bulky infant insert:)

RissaMamaRex 11-24-2012 03:19 PM

My DD hated the insert and it was impossible to get her in it. I ended up waiting to use my Ergo until she didn't need the insert.

halielise924 12-03-2012 11:57 AM

I have had no problem with the insert. The pad is removable and I didn't think it was too bulky to wear. My son doesn't mind it at all, and in winter I think it keeps him a little warmer :)

organicmama10 12-06-2012 10:50 PM

We didn't use the Ergo until DS was older....about 8 mos or so. I recently purchased the insert and tried it on DD. The insert is a bit bulky and seems large for my 7lb LO. She was swimming in it!! I can see how it can be uncomfortable for some especially in the warmer months but it worked well for me. She was snuggly in it and it kept her warm and toasty as we were out and about with our toddler. I didn't find that it kept her sitting high, in fact, it was great! She was tucked in (very close to the position she's in the moby).

melahknee 12-07-2012 11:41 PM

My son was nearly 10 lbs at birth and I tried to put him in with the infant insert and the fit was too snug for my comfort.
so I tried it with a thin blanket wrapped around him and it was much more comfortable. I never used the insert after that and only used a blanket a few times.. by the time he was 2 months old we didn't use anything. I was a bit disappointed that I bought the insert because we really didn't use it.

wordbox 12-08-2012 06:38 PM

For my son, I didn't get the Ergo until he was 4 months old or so, so it wasn't an issue. I had used the Moby and then a mei tai with him until we got the Ergo, and then he was fine with his legs out by that point.

When DD arrived, I sometimes used a ring sling for her early on, and still use it occasionally (like if we go somewhere and both kids need to be worn, our toddler gets the Ergo). I had considered getting the insert for the Ergo for DD, but instead decided to just use blankets with her. I rolled a receiving blanket to put under her, then wrapped her with an Aiden & Anais swaddling blanket in a similar way as you'd put them in the insert, so that her legs were froggied. The blankets helped fill in the carrier a bit and give her more support, and I liked that they were so breathable since she was a summer baby.