Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is this the end? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463091)

Hopefulily 11-12-2012 07:00 PM

Is this the end?

I'm really starting to worry. My little guy has been on a nursing strike! He has an ear infection but has been on an antibiotic since Friday. His fever broke yesterday and I thought he was feeling better. He was refusing to eat or drink much on Saturday and part of Sunday. He was drinking some water from a sippy cup and eventually took 2 bottles of expressed milk. Last night he woke up every 3 hours and I was able to get him latched. But, when he is awake he wants nothing to do with the breast! In fact, when the nipple gets close to his face, he gags like he is going to throw up. I am a teacher and generally express about 10 ounces while I'm away. Today I only expressed 6 ounces and he did not nurse at all! Is this the end? Please help, I'm not ready to be done and I hope he isn't either!

kushie tushie 11-12-2012 07:03 PM

How old is he?

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

Hopefulily 11-12-2012 07:06 PM

He is 8 1/2 months old.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

kushie tushie 11-12-2012 07:50 PM

Honestly, I would say the poor guys feels like crap with an ear infection and is going through a natural nursing strike. I would nurse/pump through it. If he hasnt had any nursing problems that would lead you to believe that there is a problem I would assume its all ear infection stuff.

How long has he been on antibiotics for his ears now?

Hopefulily 11-12-2012 07:53 PM

He has been on since Friday. I thought he would be better by now! It's just so strange how he gags at the sight of my breasts!

VeganCupcake 11-12-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Is this the end?

I bet you can get through it. Just keep offering, keep pumping to maintain your supply as much as possible, and you can try the ideas from Kellymom for getting through a nursing strike: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Even if your supply dips a bit, your body will pick right back up once he's nursing again. Supply and demand (in the absence of a hormonal situation like pregnancy) is an amazing thing. So don't stress about that too much.

ETA: The fact that he will nurse at night when sleepy is a great sign that he'll get back to nursing like normal!

kushie tushie 11-12-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopefulily
He has been on since Friday. I thought he would be better by now! It's just so strange how he gags at the sight of my breasts!

Mama, its probably very painful for him to nurse and have his ears bother him... It creates a lot of pressure that I'm sure doesnt feel good. :hugs:

On a side note- if his ears dont seem better in a few days I would take him back in. Some antibiotics dont work the same on different people.

BellaPepper 11-13-2012 12:51 AM

No, I don't think its the end at all. Keep pumping and get him to nurse as much as he's willing to at night. Are you giving him anything for the pain? Maybe some ear ache drops or mullein garlic drops would help.

I have managed to cure every ear infection my kids have ever had within 48 hours. I use mullein garlic drops and I also steam an onion, wrap it in a cloth and putting it near the child's ear for 20 minutes. It pulls all the fluid out of the ear. If you do the onion when he is sleeping in your arms, he will be nursing by the time you're done!

Hope your little one feels better soon!

Hopefulily 11-13-2012 07:16 PM

UPDATE: he is nursing again, but only on one side. I think the other side may still be painful. Thank you ladies for your encouraging words! It is really what I needed to hear!

kushie tushie 11-13-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopefulily
UPDATE: he is nursing again, but only on one side. I think the other side may still be painful. Thank you ladies for your encouraging words! It is really what I needed to hear!

Thats great news!
Have you tried other positions for the other side?
Maybe another position wouldnt put so much pressure on his ears.