Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   2.5 yo refuses diapers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463167)

firststella 11-12-2012 10:59 PM

2.5 yo refuses diapers

She has been PT during daytime since almost a year ago, she was 20months. She has been telling me a couple of days ago that she is a big girl and refuses the diaper for night. She says her little Sister need diapers because she is a baby (she is 12mo), that motivates her maybe.
Tonight I risked it and put her in a thicker trainer. I know she will be wet by the morning.
She drinks until 7pm not more than one small glass.

I read here that you take your kids to the restroom during night to keep them dry. Do you wake them fully to do that?
Should I force her to wear the diaper until she wakes up dry several mornings?
Does her saying indicate she is ready for night time PT? I don't want to miss that. Baby #3 is due in may so if she DOES PT during night until then, it would make things easier for me. But I refuse to push her.
Please tell me what you think, what should I do? Thank you!

BeccaSueCongdon 11-12-2012 11:19 PM

Nighttime super undies look like underpants and are pull-on with lots of room for stuffing. They are water-tight on my 4 yo power wetter. We stuff with two BG inserts.

firststella 11-12-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Nighttime super undies look like underpants and are pull-on with lots of room for stuffing. They are water-tight on my 4 yo power wetter. We stuff with two BG inserts.

Thanks you! I was just reading about those here on DS.
Do you think I should just let it go tonight? Or try to put a diaper on her while she sleeps?

BeccaSueCongdon 11-12-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firststella

Thanks you! I was just reading about those here on DS.
Do you think I should just let it go tonight? Or try to put a diaper on her while she sleeps?

My personal preference would be to put a diaper on once she's asleep, but I'm OCD about not waking them up (my kids sleep through a night change but not a potty trip).

What is she in now?

You could take her once when u go to bed if she settles easily back to sleep. It depends on her temperament really. :-)

firststella 11-13-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

My personal preference would be to put a diaper on once she's asleep, but I'm OCD about not waking them up (my kids sleep through a night change but not a potty trip).

What is she in now?

You could take her once when u go to bed if she settles easily back to sleep. It depends on her temperament really. :-)

She is in a tinkle trap design night time trainer. She sleeps if she falls of her bed but I don't know if she would through a potty trip. I think I'll put her in a diaper then.

firststella 11-13-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

She is in a tinkle trap design night time trainer. She sleeps if she falls of her bed but I don't know if she would through a potty trip. I think I'll put her in a diaper then.

Sorry, Not tinnkle trap but tinkle Time trainers by rainshine designs.
I just pt her in a sposie (for the easiness) and te trainer was dry (since the last potty time which was almost 3hours ago).

How consistent should I be on the late afternoon/evening drinking?

rverrone11 11-13-2012 12:47 AM

Re: 2.5 yo refuses diapers

Do you wake them fully to do that? NO. We have never woke our girls to go potty at night.
Should I force her to wear the diaper until she wakes up dry several mornings? No. My girls never woke up dry in a diaper. Once we switched them to undies, they woke up dry.
Does her saying indicate she is ready for night time PT? It could definitely be an indication!

Here's my experiences with my two girls:
My 2.5 year old started wearing diapers in August. After 3 or 4 weeks of wearing undies during the day, she wanted to wear undies to bed. We were concerned because she had never woken up dry when wearing a diaper. But she woke up dry in the morning. We've had about 4 nighttime accidents in the first month, but non since then. We never wake her up to use the potty, and we never did with DD1 either. She was still nursing throughout the night, and she has a water bottle that she drinks out of during the night. It doesn't cause a problem.

I had an interesting conversation with DD1 when she was about 2.5. I had just put a nighttime diaper on her (she had been wearing undies during the day for several months) and she peed within a couple minutes of me putting it on her.

Me: Did you just pee in your diaper?
DD1: Yes
Me: Why?
DD1: Because I can.

Well, that sealed the deal for me, and she started wearing undies to bed and had maybe 1 accident. She had never woken up dry before then either, apparently because she had a diaper on and she knew she could just pee in it.

I avoid trainers because DD1 treated them just like diapers.

firststella 11-13-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rverrone11
Do you wake them fully to do that? NO. We have never woke our girls to go potty at night.
Should I force her to wear the diaper until she wakes up dry several mornings? No. My girls never woke up dry in a diaper. Once we switched them to undies, they woke up dry.
Does her saying indicate she is ready for night time PT? It could definitely be an indication!

Here's my experiences with my two girls:
My 2.5 year old started wearing diapers in August. After 3 or 4 weeks of wearing undies during the day, she wanted to wear undies to bed. We were concerned because she had never woken up dry when wearing a diaper. But she woke up dry in the morning. We've had about 4 nighttime accidents in the first month, but non since then. We never wake her up to use the potty, and we never did with DD1 either. She was still nursing throughout the night, and she has a water bottle that she drinks out of during the night. It doesn't cause a problem.

I had an interesting conversation with DD1 when she was about 2.5. I had just put a nighttime diaper on her (she had been wearing undies during the day for several months) and she peed within a couple minutes of me putting it on her.

Me: Did you just pee in your diaper?
DD1: Yes
Me: Why?
DD1: Because I can.

Well, that sealed the deal for me, and she started wearing undies to bed and had maybe 1 accident. She had never woken up dry before then either, apparently because she had a diaper on and she knew she could just pee in it.

I avoid trainers because DD1 treated them just like diapers.

Oh thank you rverrone11!
So does that mean that once you put her in undies for night you would just take her to potty once or twice a night with her being half awake or you didn't take her AT ALL?
All that you write makes me really think about my DD#1 that she might be fully understanding the "I
Can pee in a diaper" thing. Thank you so much for sharing! Also, the discussion you had with your DD is VERY interesting, how much more aware they are than we might think sometimes.
You gave me more confidence to try that with my DD. I'll just go buy one more set of mattress protectors today - just in case (we only have one for her bed) and give her a chance. And I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you ladies!

rverrone11 11-13-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Oh thank you rverrone11!
So does that mean that once you put her in undies for night you would just take her to potty once or twice a night with her being half awake or you didn't take her AT ALL?
All that you write makes me really think about my DD#1 that she might be fully understanding the "I
Can pee in a diaper" thing. Thank you so much for sharing! Also, the discussion you had with your DD is VERY interesting, how much more aware they are than we might think sometimes.
You gave me more confidence to try that with my DD. I'll just go buy one more set of mattress protectors today - just in case (we only have one for her bed) and give her a chance. And I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you ladies!

Once we put them in undies, we didn't take them at all during the night. My older DD has woken up once or twice to use the potty in the last three years.

Does she still take naps? If so, does she wear a diaper or trainer for naps? You could always start there.

If you try undies at night, just remind her before going to bed that she is wearing undies and has to pee in the potty if she needs to go.

It's hard to figure out when they are ready! Some kids are ready early while others still need trainers/pullups until and throughout elementary school...you just never know. With both of our DDs we kind of just decided it was time to try because they were giving us indications that they were ready. You could try it a few nights, and if she's not ready try again at a later time. You never know if you don't try. :goodvibes:

firststella 11-13-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rverrone11

Once we put them in undies, we didn't take them at all during the night. My older DD has woken up once or twice to use the potty in the last three years.

Does she still take naps? If so, does she wear a diaper or trainer for naps? You could always start there.

If you try undies at night, just remind her before going to bed that she is wearing undies and has to pee in the potty if she needs to go.

It's hard to figure out when they are ready! Some kids are ready early while others still need trainers/pullups until and throughout elementary school...you just never know. With both of our DDs we kind of just decided it was time to try because they were giving us indications that they were ready. You could try it a few nights, and if she's not ready try again at a later time. You never know if you don't try. :goodvibes:

I put her in panties tonight, she went potty just before and I'll bring her to potty at 11pm. I keep my fingers crossed and I'm curious to see tomorrow morning! Thank you for your advice;)