Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Article about early education. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463209)

fawnlovesjasper 11-13-2012 07:39 AM

Article about early education.

Becuase I see posts here fequently about early (preschool) education. "What can I do with my 2 (or 3 or even 4) year old?" often rubs me wrong. I wanted to share a blog post that really resonated with me.

http://lauragraceweldon.com/2012/10/...ing-too-early/

My kids, even the older ones learn best when they are allowed to explore what they are curious about. Yes I try to plant seeds, and am far from an unschooler, but I am prepared at any time to freeze right where we are and follow any bunny trail that may pop up. I see nothing wrong with me having it in my head that my 3 year old should know his colors (which he does), but I have never said ok, lets learn the colors of these crayons. He learned they because we talk about the world around us, we play and well we color which leads to giggles about how he colored that boy's hair blue and his skin green and what color is our skin and hair.

whiteyacht 11-13-2012 08:01 AM

love this. I'm so tired of being asked what I'm "doing" with my 4 yo.

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Ally's Fuzzies 11-13-2012 09:15 AM

Re: Article about early education.

I love this too! Thank you so much for posting!

I am all for "teachable moments" - my two year old is fascinated with the idea of space at the moment (due to watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Space Adventure), so we put up pictures of the planets around the living room. She loves to look at them and ask "what is that", so we talk about them. When she gets tired of them, we will put them away - we are not pushing any knowledge on her, or expecting her to memorize the names or anything, just giving her the opportunity to explore an interest.

Similarily, we never sit down and "learn" - we learn while we are doing things.

tallanvor 11-13-2012 09:35 AM

I had people get upset with me because my oldest knew her alphabet at 3. People felt I was pushing her. What they didn't know was that probably 800 kazillion times a day, she asked what something said or what letters were on the paper/box/sign/tv/etc.

She also learned half her alphabet when she was 2 because I was pregnant and wiped out by dinner time, so we'd watch Wheel of Fortune. lol

jesajane 11-13-2012 10:58 AM

i agree 100%. our society values "education" so much, but they don't see the importance of just living. i'm probably not saying this well. lol! oh well. i'm tired.

Jen's_4 11-13-2012 01:10 PM

I really like that! I'm kind of anti-preschool. I also need to realize that my kids are young, and I don't need to push them either. Sometimes it's hard not to when there is the pressure to "keep up," and you forget what you should really be doing.

cedavid2011 11-13-2012 01:25 PM

I liked the article too. Thanks for posting it. I have always followed more of a Charlotte Mason philosophy which delays starting academics until around age 6.

TypeAMom 11-14-2012 06:32 PM

I've read a similar article before, but was still one of those people researching preschool curriculum. My daughter is a sponge at this age (as all kids are), so I teach her stuff as we encounter things. We don't do formal lessons by any means. I've been searching for a curriculum for when she turns 3 because I feel like the way I teach her is probably a little scatter-brained, so I thought a unit study approach would encourage me to look at things more in depth. I think I'm going to go w/ Flowering Baby b/c it seems to have a gentle approach, but still has the structure that will help me. Lastly, I'm glad that article was so keen on cooking b/c while I've been including my daughter in chores for awhile, I recently decided to make it a point to cook with her once a week.

fawnlovesjasper 11-15-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeAMom (Post 15934037)
I've read a similar article before, but was still one of those people researching preschool curriculum. My daughter is a sponge at this age (as all kids are), so I teach her stuff as we encounter things. We don't do formal lessons by any means. I've been searching for a curriculum for when she turns 3 because I feel like the way I teach her is probably a little scatter-brained, so I thought a unit study approach would encourage me to look at things more in depth. I think I'm going to go w/ Flowering Baby b/c it seems to have a gentle approach, but still has the structure that will help me. Lastly, I'm glad that article was so keen on cooking b/c while I've been including my daughter in chores for awhile, I recently decided to make it a point to cook with her once a week.

That "scatter brained" stuff isn't so scatter brained to her, I can promise you that. Cooking, cleaning with mommy and playing (in a variety of ways.. with you, with other kids if possible, by herself) is the ways that she learns best, and the only thing a 3 year old needs.

irishdancemomma 11-16-2012 09:12 PM

Yes! This is what I've been trying to get through to my husband.