Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   the "i told you so" parenting moments (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463245)

newbiemama 11-13-2012 10:12 AM

the "i told you so" parenting moments

No mom likes to hear "I told you so," so I stay away from it. I really do try and keep my opinions to myself, but I will share what worked for us and try to advise others to do the same. But sometimes I just want to do a dance and shout I TOLD YOU SO!!!! :carrot::banana:

My SIL, who has a very different parenting style and has an 8 yo, had a baby shower for her second baby and we got her a swaddler. I told her it was one of the best things we used for both our kids and they slept SO much better in the swaddler. She gave me a funny look, probably chalked it up to "my crazy parenting," and set it aside. THE NEXT DAY she took a picture of the baby and said "she slept for 8 straight hours in the swaddler!!!' weeeeeellll DUH!!! I TOLD YA SO!!! :ohyeah:

do you have any funny "i told you so" mom-ments??

chandni3 11-13-2012 10:48 AM

Re: the "i told you so" parenting moments

I don't want to start a debate about cry it out or Ferber. But when I was a new mom I was not going to do cry it out. My friend has a baby a few months older than mine and around 6 months or older she started doing cry it out. I thought, "I'll never do that" and guess what, around 6 months I started doing the Ferber method. Worked great. Another friend of both of ours said, "I'll never let my baby cry to sleep". My other friend said, "We'll see". Well, guess what, she's now asking advice about getting him to sleep, lol. Yes, I'm against letting young babies cry and against letting your baby cry for hours on end, but I'm totally fine with a bit of crying. I did give the friend advice both ways and recommended the No Cry Sleep solution as well. I'm all for parents doing what's best for them, what works with one baby doesn't necessarily work with another, but never say never :)

Kiliki 11-13-2012 10:53 AM

My cousin won't discipline her kid b/c she is "scared to hurt his feelings" so he runs around hitting (like TRYING to hurt you) people, stealing their food right out of their hands, taking toys from other little kids, kicking, biting, shoving, etc. He's really violent, and she doesn't time out or spank or scold. She says in this very sweet voice, "Now son, that's not nice!" And then he whacks her in the head with a toy, and she says calmly, "owwwie! That hurt mommy :(" And he angrily hits her again across the face, so she walks away. ... that's her way of dealing with him. NOT.JOKING.

I have tried to warn her that if she doesn't do something NOW (he is just 3) he will be a real handful when he gets bigger.

We'll see how her method works out, but I am totally seeing an "I TOLD YOU SO!" moment when she ends up with a black eye or bloody lip from her outrageous 10 yr old who hit her.

stephbrown13 11-13-2012 10:54 AM

Probably using a swing:) With DS1 everyone told us we HAD TO HAVE ONE blah blah, and we never used one. He co-slept and was swaddled, or I could babywear him and he'd sleep. A friend loaned us a swing and he never liked it.Then DS2 came along and after trying everything I broke down and bought a swing and lo and behold, he'd sleep! Too bad it wore off eventually haha.

EmilytheStrange 11-13-2012 02:28 PM

the only ones I can think of right now are the friends who are now 'cloth diaper converts'. Everyone whines about how it's so gross and so hard.. so, I love to see when they actually start doing it and fall in love.

I'm sure I'll think of another one later.

newbiemama 11-13-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15929201)
the only ones I can think of right now are the friends who are now 'cloth diaper converts'. Everyone whines about how it's so gross and so hard.. so, I love to see when they actually start doing it and fall in love.

I'm sure I'll think of another one later.

i'll admit, this was me! my sister CD'd and i thought it was DISGUSTING. low and behold, a year later my baby comes along and we CD. live and learn!

mcpforever 11-13-2012 03:47 PM

Well, this one is an "I told you so" on me. :)

When DS1 was born, I was convinced there would be no paci use. He would only nurse. Before we left the hospital, we knew he had latch issues where he would clamp down so hard on me that I would have a fringe around my nipple where his gums closed on me. :ouch: He had a serious need to suck and after 3 hours of him happily sucking away on my clean pinkie finger, I relented and gave him a paci. We were BOTH much happier. And my mother held her tongue, but had every right to tell me, "I told you so."

mrspopo 11-13-2012 05:20 PM

When my nephew was about 3, SIL decided to do a super restrictive diet. There were about 6 items he was allowed to eat, and he ate pretty much the exact same meals every day. He would constantly stare at people while they ate and and beg for food. She had some very extreme views about nutrition and what is good for the brain, as well as using food to control his behavior without any behavior modification. I wanted to give that boy food soooo badly and tried to help her realize it wasn't realistic for him to be around people and not eat the food they eat. Fast forward a few years, and he'll puke any time he eats one of the approved foods, she's had to relax quite a bit. And without treating any of his mildly autistic symptoms, his behaviors have become extremely explosive and volatile... she's asking me for books and advice to deal with his emotional regulation - wish she'd worked on these problems years ago but better late than never.

CaliRoll 11-13-2012 09:04 PM

A friend of ours has a 7 week old daughter and her son is almost 8, so theres a huge gap. In between her two, I've had 3, two boys and a girl. She lived with us for about a year and turned her nose up at 90% of my parenting methods. Her whole pregnancy, all I heard was how her son was so easy and such a great baby and this would be a breeze because she's SUCH an experienced mother.

So, now she has this incredibly fussy baby girl and is texting me constantly. Turns out I'm not so crazy. Turns out babywearing does help calm fussy babies. And gripe water isn't hokum. And swaddling rocks.

Makes me giggle and want to shout "I informed you thusly!"

The3LittleBerkhs 11-14-2012 11:44 AM

Happens all the time with my mom and MIL. They give me all sorts of advice and insist it should be done that way. It doesn't matter what the situation is or how much I've researched myself. Cloth diapers, co-sleeping, feeding, etc. First baby or the third...I'm eventually the one who says, see told ya :giggle: