Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Teething Nightmare (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463269)

Only 11-13-2012 11:26 AM

We are using Hyland's teething tablets and gel paired with an amber necklace. Initially, Austen seemed better but now I'm not so sure. She's drooly and constantly biting her hands and incredibly fussy and uncomfortable. She doesn't like teethers.

Infant's Tylenol gives her some relief but I'm not comfortable with it being something we use all the time and I realize it shouldn't be used for more than a week, anyway.

Suggestions?

Shimpie 11-13-2012 12:01 PM

Re: Teething Nightmare

I'm only speaking from personal experience with my DD's awful teething. I never found a good alternative to pain relievers. Teethers were either short lived, or no good at all. Worst of all, teethers didn't work at night. All the Hylands products were useless. Amber had no effect. I still feel bad that DD had to suffer to through what accumulated to weeks of teething pain while we tried out different products. DD would wake up screaming in middle of the night. I ended up giving her ibuprofen at night because it lasted longer than tylenol. I rarely gave anything during the day and if I did, I administered tylenol so that I could alternate between the two meds. Most of her teething pain only lasted a few days, a week at most. Once the teething pain was over, I put the meds away until the next teething bout, usually two months down the road.

Hopefully, your DD's pain is short lived.

Only 11-13-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie
I'm only speaking from personal experience with my DD's awful teething. I never found a good alternative to pain relievers. Teethers were either short lived, or no good at all. Worst of all, teethers didn't work at night. All the Hylands products were useless. Amber had no effect. I still feel bad that DD had to suffer to through what accumulated to weeks of teething pain while we tried out different products. DD would wake up screaming in middle of the night. I ended up giving her ibuprofen at night because it lasted longer than tylenol. I rarely gave anything during the day and if I did, I administered tylenol so that I could alternate between the two meds. Most of her teething pain only lasted a few days, a week at most. Once the teething pain was over, I put the meds away until the next teething bout, usually two months down the road.

Hopefully, your DD's pain is short lived.

Shimpie, thank you for responding. :)

Unfortunately, she's been like this for the past week or two and going strong. I really hope it ends soon. I feel so bad for her. :(

mibarra 11-13-2012 01:31 PM

Have you tried a damp washcloth put in the freezer? The roughness, cold, and counterpressure were a great combo for us. :)

Kiliki 11-13-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 15928927)
Have you tried a damp washcloth put in the freezer? The roughness, cold, and counterpressure were a great combo for us. :)

yup, I've heard of that.

You can also freeze fruit and put it in the mesh feeder bag thing and let them gnaw on that. They love it.

I would tell you not to use the Orajel too much, b/c it actually hardens their gums and makes it take longer for the teeth to erupt. So they get momentary relief, but it extends their overall suffering.

Bibs with the vinyl backing help save you from washing a million shirts everyday.

I know teething is rough. You'll make it mama. :hugs:

ETA: personally, I tried all the methods to help ease pain during waking hours. As soon as bed time hit, I gave a dose of Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen along with dinner, in the hopes that they would be comfortable enough to sleep longer. I felt better that way b/c they weren't constantly using it, but only using it at night. Plus I felt like the sleep helped them cope, and somehow made it go by quicker.

tallanvor 11-13-2012 01:55 PM

Clove oil works well. Mix a drop with a couple drops of something else, as it's a bit harsh. I didn't know to mix it the first time I did it. Even mixed, your LO might scream for a minute or two, but then her gums will go numb. I know, because I tried it on myself. lol If you don't have a health food store around, though, I'm not sure where you'd get it.

ClothAngel 11-15-2012 02:17 PM

My daughter is a horrible teether too :( Even with her amber necklace and tabs, like your daughter is. We did Tylenol for break through and really rough days but, like you, aren't comfortable with it constantly being used. But also if you use it appropriately it won't hurt to use it on the hard days especially ones with fevers. Also I would check to make sure you have an authentic teething necklace. There are some that are not real and obviously won't do anything to help.

EmilytheStrange 11-15-2012 02:32 PM

I've heard the same things about oragel and we avoid it. but, I've tried researching it and actually come up short - so not sure if it's an old mom's tale or not.

we used liquid camillia because the teething tablets were on recall and I think that worked better, actually. we tried the tablets after they'd been off recall for awhile.

on really horrible days, if she was having trouble sleeping, I'd offer some pain reliever, but otherwise, I did the frozen wet washcloths, mom's fingers, mesh feeders with frozen grapes, etc.

she also wore an amber necklace.

greencrunchymama 11-15-2012 02:33 PM

We do a little chamomile tea and that seems to help. She also loves frozen washcloths!

This is really cool and she likes it (it's a little different than a traditional teether) :hugs: mama. Teething stinks!

Shimpie 11-15-2012 03:30 PM

Frozen fruit in a mesh bag or cheese cloth works great. Later when my DD had more teeth, she would skip the bag and eat straight frozen strawberries. I always new when she was teething, because she would ask for strawberries and point at the freezer.