Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463298)

coffeegirl 11-13-2012 12:30 PM

SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)?

I have a starter SNS system ($15 off Amazon( and I'm trying to reach mny goal of using it 3-4 times daily at the least. My life is hectic (two-year old, 6 week underwight newborn, and some other stuff). If this works I'd like to increase the freequency of use.

My issue is low supply. Had it with DD1mnd now again with the new baby. So we mostly formula feed, but my ideal would be mixed feeding- both formula and nursing, at least until my newborn is 6ish months or so.

Anyhow....question is, does this thing work? Now I have a very simple, small, basic one and we've got it to work.

But will this actually help increase my supply?

mibarra 11-13-2012 01:41 PM

It will provide nipple stimulation and baby can nurse from you, while getting extra from the SNS so they are full. I would think with the nipple stimulation and breast emptying it could but you may seek out an LC to help you. :)

coffeegirl 11-13-2012 03:44 PM

Re: SNS (Supplemental Nursing System)?

thanks! I've had the hep of several LCs, actually, but I was just wondering if anyone here had ever successfully increased their supply with an SNS.

Huxley 11-13-2012 05:47 PM

I has low supply (from a breast reduction) I increased my supply by nursing every feeding (then bottle feeding formula,I didn't have a SNS system) and by taking Domperidone and fenugreek/blessed thistle/goats rue. By five and a half months I was exclusively breastfeeding. I've been told the SNS really helps. I'd try to use it every feeding (I know that might not be possible)

Eta - you will probably get more information on the breastfeeding support section.

ProudMomma 11-13-2012 08:41 PM

Yes!! I had VERY low supply with my oldest. I used the SNS with every nursing session so every 2 hours every day. He was done with it at 7 weeks because I was way too tired. However, from that point on, he was 50% breast fed and 50% formula fed. He nursed until 11 months when I got pregnant/miscarried.

Greenwife 11-13-2012 10:34 PM

I used one for several weeks for my DD when she wasn't gaining. It was frustrating and hard to use, but worked to build up my supply enough to not need to supplement any longer.

purpleshelly860 12-21-2012 08:15 PM

I used SNS with my first for 2 weeks before I gave it up out of frustration. I was also using a nipple shield and had a "frantic eater" with a tongue tie, so we had many issues. I felt like breastfeeding with the SNS required 4 hands somehow. I wish I had tried it with my second child though, because she developed a strong bottle preference when I supplemented her that way. I think if it doesn't drive you crazy it should help you. :)

Yarnjess 12-21-2012 08:32 PM

It probably depends on why you have low supply. If you have IGT, then it probably won't do much for your supply, but it will give you and baby all the other benefits of breastfeeding (bonding, oxytocin release, mouth and jaw development, eye development, etc). Good luck.

katiekat1032 12-22-2012 09:16 PM

Mine didn't really help me increase my supply, but it helped me not to decrease it either. What really helped me was when I started taking domperidone in conjunction with using the SNS. And let me tell you, I had tried EVERYTHING!

hcokasil 12-25-2012 04:37 PM

My irl friend used it at every feeding for the first few months. I was so impressed with her diligence! it didn't increase her supply, but she said she felt more bonded to her babe.

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!