Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Sizing prefolds (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463322)

Jacob 11-13-2012 01:42 PM

Sizing prefolds

Hello everyone,

This site seems primarily aimed towards moms, but I hope you won't mind an question from a soon-to-be-dad!

We are expecting our first child in December and we're working hard to build up our stash. We've decided to do mainly pocket diapers once baby fits in them, but we're trying to figure out what to do for the newborn phase.

We are planning to do prefolds (either Osocozy or Imagine with Thirsties Duo Wrap covers), but we're having trouble figuring out what size we want. From looking at the newborn size, it looks like baby would grow out of it pretty quickly. On the other hand, I'm worried if we start with infant, they'll be super bulky on the newborn.

I also notice that both companies offer a diaper that is shorter and designed to just go under the cover without a Snappi. Does that really work? It seems like, if they're not wrapped up in the diaper, the cover would get really messy, especially for an EBF baby.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

MamaWeeks 11-13-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Sizing prefolds

I'd still snappi my prefold for the newborn EBF blow outs, if you jelly roll your prefolds it should contain most of it.
As for sizing, I'm going for infant instead of newborn myself (due in Jan), unless you are anticipating a super skinny or premature baby.
If you are concerned about it being bulky, which won't be very long anyways, you can try some flats instead of prefolds.

qsefthuko 11-13-2012 02:26 PM

We did the traditional size infant prefold. It was super bulky. When I lay baby down his back was arched. I regretted not getting the new shorter size prefolds. Whichever brand you choose to go with I would pick the newer sizes. You can still pin or snappi them but you can also trifold as you mentioned. I have never done the trifolding but have read other mamas saying what you mentioned. It makes for a very messy cover weather EBF or formula fed.

Baby isn't likely to fit long in the nb sizes but since you are going Pockets which I am assuming are OS(ignore this if you chose sized) this won't be an issue. The nb typically fit to about 10lbs. Your pockets should begin to start fitting at around 10lbs. Anyway that is what most mamas on here say about the OS pockets. FYI I use wool so don't have first hand knowledge just what others have said previously.

Oh yeah welcome to DS. All daddys are welcome most are just not usually interested enough to join.

Jacob 11-13-2012 03:31 PM

We are planning to use OS pockets; I should have mentioned that.

I didn't realize that you could Snappi the shorter diapers. Seems like that is a good compromise.

OrangeBananas 11-13-2012 08:02 PM

Imagine prefolds are very nice, and I would go with the traditional newborn size to avoid the bulk with a brand new baby. Congratulations, by the way!

Jacob 11-15-2012 09:58 PM

Thanks, all! I appreciate the advice and it looks like it'll be Imagine Smart Fit XS size for us.

Now, if I can just make up my mind about diaper covers. :-)