Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Your least favorite cliche said to parents? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463393)

EmmaGM 11-13-2012 04:50 PM

Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
Am I the only one that plans to hulk smash the next person with a perfectly behaved infant that tells me, "oh it gets better"?

Here, have yourself a free baby until you prove your theory correct. :)

danielle 11-13-2012 05:03 PM

I like, "oh, you think it's bad now? Wait til s/he starts walking (or talking)"

mekat 11-13-2012 05:12 PM

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
My son has microphthalmia so his eyes always look like they are little bit closed. I always hear "Poor thing is tired" the minute he gets a little cranky. The boy could have slept 12 hours a night for the last 12 days and the minute he fusses in front of someone in public that phrase will pop out of their mouth. I no longer even try to explain because no matter what I say the person will insist they are correct.

sisu 11-13-2012 05:12 PM

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 15929819)
I like, "oh, you think it's bad now? Wait til s/he starts walking (or talking)"

Oh, yes, this one! So discouraging and condescending all at once.

EmmaGM 11-13-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner
I like, "oh, you think it's bad now? Wait til s/he starts walking (or talking)"

Ugh! I hate that one too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mekat
My son has microphthalmia so his eyes always look like they are little bit closed. I always hear "Poor thing is tired" the minute he gets a little cranky. The boy could have slept 12 hours a night for the last 12 days and the minute he fusses in front of someone in public that phrase will pop out of their mouth. I no longer even try to explain because no matter what I say the person will insist they are correct.

Sounds a little like my in-laws. The second he makes a peep, "oh he's hungry!" If I say no he's not they act like I'm starving him to death.

blueone 11-13-2012 05:33 PM

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
The "It's just a phase, it will pass." I get so annoyed when I hear that. I don't care if it's just a phase, if it's hard it's hard. That and I already know it's just a phase.

Geckmumto3 11-13-2012 05:40 PM

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 15929819)
I like, "oh, you think it's bad now? Wait til s/he starts walking (or talking)"

"Or wait until they are teenagers..."

When we were pregnant, it seemed everyone said to us, "Your life is going to change."

Huh. No, really? I didn't get that from planning a baby at all.

Now we lovingly tease first time parent friends, "Hey, has anyone mentioned that your life might be in for a change?"

O'sMommy:) 11-13-2012 06:11 PM

Re: Your least favorite cliche said to parents?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM (Post 15929768)
Am I the only one that plans to hulk smash the next person with a perfectly behaved infant that tells me, "oh it gets better"?

Here, have yourself a free baby until you prove your theory correct. :)

I get this a lot. Please don't get me wrong as I love my baby more than anything in the whole world but he's just a down right HORRIBLE baby! :banghead: I get so frustrated bc literally nothing satisfies him. He cries/fusses constantly and there's really nothing that anyone can do. He's perfectly healthy and all, he's just super fussy. Anytime we're around people and he fusses, they'll suggest he's hungry or may need his diaper changed and (knowing I just did all of those things) I'll simply explain that he's just not a pleasant baby and they're like, "Yes he is but it'll get better."

He is our first and my husband and I have decided that he will be our last as neither of us feel like we can do this again. People will ask when we want another and when we explain that bc we've had such a hard time with Owen we don't want anymore it's like they're offended. They'll say, "he needs a sibling." Or "what about when you and dh are gone?" Oh and my favorite(from my grandfather): "He's GOT to have a sister!" Uhm, no! We are not having any more children. If they want him to have a sibling so bad, I welcome them to start TTC, get pregnant, carry the baby, give birth, pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills that I have piled high, and raise it then I'll take over.

Sorry for the rant. Those 2 things just get me so fired up!

EmmaGM 11-13-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'sMommy:)

I get this a lot. Please don't get me wrong as I love my baby more than anything in the whole world but he's just a down right HORRIBLE baby! :banghead: I get so frustrated bc literally nothing satisfies him. He cries/fusses constantly and there's really nothing that anyone can do. He's perfectly healthy and all, he's just super fussy. Anytime we're around people and he fusses, they'll suggest he's hungry or may need his diaper changed and (knowing I just did all of those things) I'll simply explain that he's just not a pleasant baby and they're like, "Yes he is but it'll get better."

He is our first and my husband and I have decided that he will be our last as neither of us feel like we can do this again. People will ask when we want another and when we explain that bc we've had such a hard time with Owen we don't want anymore it's like they're offended. They'll say, "he needs a sibling." Or "what about when you and dh are gone?" Oh and my favorite(from my grandfather): "He's GOT to have a sister!" Uhm, no! We are not having any more children. If they want him to have a sibling so bad, I welcome them to start TTC, get pregnant, carry the baby, give birth, pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills that I have piled high, and raise it then I'll take over.

Sorry for the rant. Those 2 things just get me so fired up!

Oh mama you sound just like me. The worst part is if I had listened to all those "experienced" moms DS would never have been diagnosed with silent reflux AND dairy sensitivities. He's a lot better now but still very high maintenance. Dh and I still don't know if we can ever do this again.

I do totally know how you feel though. When we've told in-laws he may be an only they get all offended. The same people that refuse to babysit for even an hour so we can have a break because they can't handle him. Yep.

Google the fussy baby site, it made such a huge difference in making me feel not so alone or like a terrible parent.

L J 11-13-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O'sMommy:)

I get this a lot. Please don't get me wrong as I love my baby more than anything in the whole world but he's just a down right HORRIBLE baby! :banghead: I get so frustrated bc literally nothing satisfies him. He cries/fusses constantly and there's really nothing that anyone can do. He's perfectly healthy and all, he's just super fussy. Anytime we're around people and he fusses, they'll suggest he's hungry or may need his diaper changed and (knowing I just did all of those things) I'll simply explain that he's just not a pleasant baby and they're like, "Yes he is but it'll get better."

He is our first and my husband and I have decided that he will be our last as neither of us feel like we can do this again. People will ask when we want another and when we explain that bc we've had such a hard time with Owen we don't want anymore it's like they're offended. They'll say, "he needs a sibling." Or "what about when you and dh are gone?" Oh and my favorite(from my grandfather): "He's GOT to have a sister!" Uhm, no! We are not having any more children. If they want him to have a sibling so bad, I welcome them to start TTC, get pregnant, carry the baby, give birth, pay the THOUSANDS of dollars in medical bills that I have piled high, and raise it then I'll take over.

Sorry for the rant. Those 2 things just get me so fired up!

Oh mama! You sound like me 5 years ago. My oldest was a horrible baby; never happy, no matter what! He's almost 6 now. At least now I can send him to his room. ;)

I swore off more for a long time, too. (Not suggesting that you will change your mind.) When I did decide I was brave enough to try for another, my family loved to remind me of what a hard baby #1 was.

Even when I was already pregnant, and very pregnant, they would ask me if I knew what I was getting into. Really? :laugh: Like there is anything I could do about it then.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors