Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A note from your child's teacher... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463425)

luvsviola 11-13-2012 06:25 PM

A note from your child's teacher...

Dear Parents--

Calling me at 7:30 at night on my home phone is out of line. Next time, my husband won't be so polite.

Love, Your Child's Teacher

Seriously. I am feeling very stalked and violated. A student in my class's parent apparently has saved my home number on her caller ID since I called her in JULY. She just called me at home at 7:30 at night to ask about something that could have waited til tomorrow. Payment for something is due Friday, and she can't pay til the 23rd. Her son has my class tomorrow. Drop me a note. Drop me an email. Leave me a voicemail. There are million better ways this could be handled. But if you see a teacher on the news next week who went postal on a parent...it was me. :)

mom2jirms 11-13-2012 06:34 PM

Re: A note from your child's teacher...

WOW! I would never call a teacher at home? Really?? So sorry mama, I woulda been p'd off!!

wooly_wonderful 11-13-2012 06:36 PM

Something similar happened to me a few years ago, but it was a single dad calling about his daughter that was in my class. My dh was furious. In the parents defense, I would only call my child's teacher if I was extremely concerned about the money, but I would never call the house number.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Rhianna'sMommy 11-13-2012 06:39 PM

I would never dream of calling a teacher at home unless it was urgent. But I will say dd1's teacher gave me her home number and told me to feel free to call her at home anytime about anything (we've been talking a lot lately about books for dd to read since she reads very advanced and about dd's habit of chewing).

danielle 11-13-2012 06:42 PM

I hope you told her that it would have to wait until tomorrow since you were spending time with your family. Wth is wrong with people?

s@hmommy 11-13-2012 06:43 PM

Could she possibly have thought it was your classroom phone and she thought she would leave a message? My caller id on my phone just lists a phone number so I wouldn't have realized it was your home number, and I probably would have saved it thinking it was your contact number.

luvsviola 11-13-2012 06:46 PM

Nope. I live about 30 minutes from where I teach, and all the school numbers are 988 numbers. This is an 873 number. She told me she still had it from when I called her last summer, and she had saved it. Ummm....creepy!!!!

Sarai* 11-13-2012 07:04 PM

maybe she thinks because you got her home phone number, and called her at home (not during school time, either, over the summer) it was OK?

A few years ago, the class list with which kid had which teacher was posted in a school window Labor Day weekend before school started. Some very personal information regarding a medical condition one of my kids had was posted next to their name and displayed to the entire community. I googled the superintendent's (of the 20,000 student school district) phone number, and called him at home on Sunday morning, and demanded they take it down. He was very angry I called him at home, until he found out why, then the he was still very angry, but no longer at me.

This mom obviously used very poor judgement in calling you about something trivial, but I do think there should be some emergency number parents can call if something is really wrong. The school sure can get ahold of us, and several of our relatives (for "emergency contacts") when they want to!

EmilytheStrange 11-13-2012 07:09 PM

I must have a lot to learn. If a teacher called me from home, I'd certainly save the number.

but I don't like talking to people much, so I would go for email contacting.

CASMama711 11-13-2012 07:17 PM

I've had that happen a couple of times when I was a classroom teacher. :(