Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   any EBF mommas NOT wait? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463500)

mom@37 11-14-2012 04:03 AM

any EBF mommas NOT wait?

We EBF and I'm getting pressure from my family to start solids at 4 months. I was thinking closer to 6, because what's the rush? But wanting to hear if there are those of you who also started early and have no regrets.

cacasey1981 11-14-2012 07:39 AM

EBF or FF the new rec is 6 months for solids with the additional caveat of "under 1 just for fun"

There isn't really a nutritional benefit to starting early and if your LO isn't showing signs of readiness it can be a frustrating waste of time and money.

Sent from my DROID2 using DS Forum

mom@37 11-14-2012 10:28 AM

Re: any EBF mommas NOT wait?

Thanks for the input! I love that "under 1 just for fun" I'll have to use that one the next time I get asked about it.

jrowens3224 11-14-2012 12:53 PM

I don't really understand why people rush the solids...If they aren't ready it is like pp said, a waste of time and energy. I made that mistake with my first! We are definitely waiting until at least six months this go around. :)

mom@37 11-14-2012 01:05 PM

I know they say that solids are not to replace feedings, and you should offer after BF, but I wonder if some people think it kind of lets them off the hook a little with the feedings since baby is still getting food. I think you guys have given me courage though- I'll definitely wait the 6 months and then after that we'll see.

ktmelody 11-14-2012 01:06 PM

Actually the new recomendations are 4-6 months. There is a higher allergy link in children who start solids after 6 months and before 4 months. So the prime window is 4-6 months.

I have breastfed 5 of my 7 children. All started solids between 4-5 months. None have food allergies and all were ready. We dont do cereals we usually start with some homeade purees and by 6 months they eat table foods.

It is a personal decision. If you are ready at 4 months and baby is ready (good head control, thrust reflex is gone) then try. If you are not then wait. There is no harm in waiting either.

c&w's mama 11-14-2012 04:16 PM

this does get confusing because of so many different recommendations. I know the pressure well (!!) -- because of grandmothers and daycare providers. They think you need to feed babies "real food." Right, cause breast milk isn't real. Drives me nuts. I started both my kids after 6 months. Actually held my son off- likely I didn't need to do that, just made me feel better. I also do baby led weaning so DS did it all himself except for yogurt. I don't even spoon feed oatmeal. I hear MANY people say that starting late (aka 6 months) makes kids pickier. I say its about the kids, not when you start them. My kids eat everything- but its just because of who they are. If I'm lucky enough to have a 3rd, I wouldn't expect that child to eat the same way-- but in his or her way-- every single person is different!

Bottom line: do what you feel right doing.

I'm going to research again out of interest because my son is over a year now (and daughter is well beyond) so maybe I'm not current (as shown above) but the rec when both my babies were at that age was at least 6 months (WHO. AAP was the only org. riding the fence still saying 4-6) This stuff changes all. the. time.

That's why I'd recommend whatever you think is right :goodvibes:

also, my husband was formula fed and started cereal at 3 weeks. Not a typo. Three weeks. (he had an older sister and MIL was going on those recommendations-- which had changed 7 years later-- she was told NOT to breastfeed because it wasn't as good as formula) Recs change all the time. He has NO allergies what so ever and is a really smart guy.

qsefthuko 11-14-2012 05:27 PM

I ebf all my kids.

My first showed all the signs of being ready for solids at 5 months. She nolonger pushed stuff out of her mouth, had been sittingg since she was 4 1/2 months. She was even crawling. I held her off for 2 weeks but gave in at 5 1/2 months to my child because she seemed almost desperate to have solid foods.

Ds1 showed absolutely no desire for solids until around 11 months old. Even then he only ate a few tablespoons a day.

Ds2 showed interest in solid foods around 10 months old.

My first 2 didn't wean until almost 4 years of age despite the wide difference in starting solids. My third child is now 17 months old and shows do interest in weaning.

As for the allergies I read somewhere that kids who are likely to get. Food allergies tend not to want solids as early not that starting late caused the allergy.

When asked I say do your research, know the signs of readyness, know your child and go from there. Some kids are ready to start earlier than others. Ignore the pressure or politely tell them when they have their children they get/got to make their own choices. This baby belongs to you and your so. Your two get to make that decision for your own children. Unless of course they want to pay your child's food bill through college. Then I just might say take them up on it.

KelseyH 11-14-2012 06:26 PM

We tried solids around 6-8 months, but DS wanted nothing to do with them. He wasn't really showing much interest. We EBF until about 13-14 months, then he FINALLY started to become interested in solid foods. Purées/semi solids always grossed him out and we never pushed it. Any solid food he was served he just played with/threw on the floor until 13 months or so.

mom@37 11-14-2012 07:21 PM

Wow- c &w's mama- 3 weeks!!! wow, things really have changed! Thanks for sharing.

Great to hear that everyone is kind of all over the board, really, it helps because it shows there really is no "right" or "wrong".