Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Children with Asperger's Syndrome (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463536)

Mom2jandb 11-14-2012 08:07 AM

Children with Asperger's Syndrome

For mamas of children with Asperger's, what were they like as babies/toddlers/preschoolers, and at what age were they diagnosed? My 3yo seems to fit the definition a little too closely to be ignored, but I understand some characteristics are not really recognizable until they are older...

busymommymedia 11-14-2012 08:22 AM

We dealt with the sensory processing issues nearly from birth but got an officially diagnoses closer to 4. My son actually outgrew a lot if his more serious issues with occupational therapy and the work we did at home.

Sorry for the typos. Responding on my phone while nursing

Mom2jandb 11-14-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busymommymedia
We dealt with the sensory processing issues nearly from birth but got an officially diagnoses closer to 4. My son actually outgrew a lot if his more serious issues with occupational therapy and the work we did at home.

Sorry for the typos. Responding on my phone while nursing

Thank you for the response! We've been dealing with sensory issues since birth too.

I am totally clueless about going about this... How did you get a diagnosis, and do you think it was important? I'm assuming so since it must have led to the OT.

mommabritt 11-14-2012 08:50 AM

My DS is not officially dx Aspergers but PDD NOS and exhibited sensory issues as an infant though I didn't realize it at the time and behaviors (sorting, grouping, obsessive interests, crazy tantrums....) started early as well, about 16 months. We didn't have a diagnosis until he was 5 though we have been in behavioral therapy since he was 3. He was diagnosed at his second evaluation, almost two years after the first one (which was not conclusive for any ASD per the dr we saw whom I thought was a loon).

ktmelody 11-14-2012 09:27 AM

The best think I learned about aspergers was that they do not have a language delay. Their language is usually above average, and formal. They also can speak about a topic incessantly without reading cues from others that they are done listening.

Sensory issues are usually big, along with above average intelligence. They also seem to have one intense topic of interest of which they know everything about.

My ds shows many signs of Aspergers, but it does not affect him negatively so we have never pursued a diagnosis.

My other dd who is 3 has an Aspergers diagnosis (which I think is not correct) and a pddnos diagnosis from another doctor (which i think is correct). She had a significant speech delay and it just doesn't fit with Aspergers diagnostic criteria.

Start with your pediatrician and see if you can get an eval done. Good luck!

RJ6Mommy 11-14-2012 11:22 AM

Re: Children with Asperger's Syndrome

My son has it and he had a speech delay till after 3 and that was the big sign for him to checked for it and he has a very high IQ.

ralenth 11-14-2012 12:02 PM

My oldest has it, and truthfully there were signs since birth, I just didn't realize it. He spoke early, and very clearly. At 2, he spoke such clear sentences that people often mistook him as older. He was also hyperactive, and had a slew of sensory issues. Because he was older, I didn't realize he was anything other than a difficult 2, 3, 4 year old. It wasn't until kindergarten that the social differences became so glaringly obvious. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD in 1st grade, and aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety in 4th.

busymommymedia 11-14-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb

Thank you for the response! We've been dealing with sensory issues since birth too.

I am totally clueless about going about this... How did you get a diagnosis, and do you think it was important? I'm assuming so since it must have led to the OT.

We went through early intervention until he turned 3 then worked with the school district. He had an IEP until he resolved his speech issues. We homeschool so I wasn't interested in keeping the IEP once he no longer needed special Ed services and I never messed with the medical diagnoses they wanted to do through the hospital because it was so expensive. I didn't want to label my son more than I had to in order to get him the services he needed so we just have a developmental diagnoses vs the full medical diagnosis.

We dealt with serious speech delays but his language developed early and he has an extremely high IQ. He can't read social cues and unfortunately that's caused him to get into a few dangerous situations which is partially why we homeschool now.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 11-19-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 15931912)
The best think I learned about aspergers was that they do not have a language delay. Their language is usually above average, and formal. They also can speak about a topic incessantly without reading cues from others that they are done listening.

Sensory issues are usually big, along with above average intelligence. They also seem to have one intense topic of interest of which they know everything about.

My ds shows many signs of Aspergers, but it does not affect him negatively so we have never pursued a diagnosis.

My other dd who is 3 has an Aspergers diagnosis (which I think is not correct) and a pddnos diagnosis from another doctor (which i think is correct). She had a significant speech delay and it just doesn't fit with Aspergers diagnostic criteria.

Start with your pediatrician and see if you can get an eval done. Good luck!

I wanted to mention about the bolded, while that is usually true, it is not always so. My ds lost speech at age one and has been severely delayed until recently(age 9). And he is still somewhat delayed.
He is incredibly smart, but processes things differently, has sensory issues, has no emotional response control(he is doing SO MUCH better with this lately:lostit:), does not "get" social cues, add a little adhd and ocd in there and that about sums it up, lol.
But I would not change anything about him:hugs:

ktmelody 11-19-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1

I wanted to mention about the bolded, while that is usually true, it is not always so. My ds lost speech at age one and has been severely delayed until recently(age 9). And he is still somewhat delayed.
He is incredibly smart, but processes things differently, has sensory issues, has no emotional response control(he is doing SO MUCH better with this lately:lostit:), does not "get" social cues, add a little adhd and ocd in there and that about sums it up, lol.
But I would not change anything about him:hugs:

Sure they can have a secondary speech delay but the dsm states that there is normal or above normal speech in children with aspergers. Its part of the diagnostic criteria. (Speech prior to 2nd birthday)

Pddnos does have a speech delay.

Not that any of it matters since both pddnos and aspergers will no longer exist after the 2013 dsm 5 comes out. Which is so silly!