Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lentil Shepherd's Pie (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463551)

Mama*Kim 11-14-2012 09:02 AM

1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and sorted
4-5 medium golden potatoes
1/2 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups beef stock (we're not vegetarian, so I used beef. Veggie stock would be fine)
1/2 cup TVP (I threw it in because I had it, totally ok to skip)
1 cup frozen peas

In a small pot, simmer lentils in water until softened (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile, boil your potatoes and make mashed potatoes in your favorite fashion. I used sour cream, garlic and margarine in mine.

In a large sauté pan, combine onion, carrot, celery, garlic and oil. Add any dry herbs you like now. Thyme would be great, but I skipped it because DH doesn't like it. Sure until veggies soften. Add flour to make a roux. Add stock 1/2 cup at a time until you've got a gravy with your veggies. Stir in your cooked lentils, TVP and peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pour the lentil mixture into a large casserole dish. Dollop mashed potatoes over the top. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes just to heat everything through and crisp the top of the potatoes. Enjoy!

dudleypippen 11-14-2012 09:33 AM

Re: Lentil Shepherd's Pie

This sounds perfect for the cooler weather we are having and even better- I have all the ingredients on hand! Thanks for sharing mama!

Mama*Kim 11-14-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudleypippen
This sounds perfect for the cooler weather we are having and even better- I have all the ingredients on hand! Thanks for sharing mama!

That's pretty much where this came from last night! We're a little tight on funds this week, so I was looking to find some things I could make just out of what I had on hand. All I had to buy for this was potatoes. My grocery bill this week was $50.79! Woot, woot! Too bad that's not possible every week.

valkynlu 11-15-2012 05:33 PM

Yum! I've had a bag of lentils for awhile and this sounds like a good use for them. :)

Mama*Kim 11-15-2012 06:05 PM

Oh! Peas! I forgot the peas. Updating the recipe now.

Resellmybelle 11-15-2012 06:29 PM

Thanks! I am going to make this sometime.

mel j 11-16-2012 01:02 PM

Thanks! I might try this tomorrow. Our LO's love lentils, peas & mashed potatoes :)

dudleypippen 11-17-2012 05:37 PM

Made this tonight (without the peas!)- AMAZING! I had to finally put it in the fridge so I would stop picking at the leftovers! Thanks for sharing mama!

Mama*Kim 11-17-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudleypippen
Made this tonight (without the peas!)- AMAZING! I had to finally put it in the fridge so I would stop picking at the leftovers! Thanks for sharing mama!

Yay! Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you liked it.

pumkinsmommy 11-17-2012 06:58 PM

This sound so yummy. My niece, who lives with us is a vegetarian so I am always looking for easy and healthy recipes for her. I will leave out the tvp.