Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   What is the next step? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463639)

gummybearmama 11-14-2012 12:56 PM

What is the next step?

my daughter will be 4 in February, she has some speech and developmental delays. She is in school five days a week for five hours a day. At school she goes potty every day but is still in diapers. At home she usually prefers diapers but when I have her sit on the potty she goes almost every time. When we are out she will usually verbalize that she has to go. Sooo, I don't know what the next step is! It is obvious she knows what it feels like when she has to go but she still pees in her diaper all the time. Should I stop putting them on her? Will accidents make her realize she needs to sit on the potty every time? My DH is getting very irritated with me and her lack of progress recently but I dont know where to go from here! Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

janeen0225 11-14-2012 02:10 PM

Re: What is the next step?

What kind of diapers is she in? Does she feel the wetness? Does she mind being wet?

(And 3.5 is not so bad, IMO, especially if she has other delays.)

gummybearmama 11-14-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janeen0225 (Post 15933140)
What kind of diapers is she in? Does she feel the wetness? Does she mind being wet?

(And 3.5 is not so bad, IMO, especially if she has other delays.)

She is in regular old walmart diapers, the biggest size they have at ours (6). we havent done pullups because they are SO expensive and we honestly cant afford them. Sometimes she seems to mind being wet but more than anything she hates being in poop. I am considering just letting her have accidents and seeing if she will realize she needs to go on the potty but I dont know if that is wrong or cruel?

janeen0225 11-14-2012 04:36 PM

So, disposables? My personal experience is that disposables make potty learning difficult because kids don't feel when they are wetting. They need that feedback loop tip be able to gain control of the whole process. I suspect that sposie diaper and pullup companies do that on purpose, as it keeps children in their products longer and puts more $$ in their pockets, but I digress.

If this were my child, I would move her to something that allows her to feel wet when she pees, but doesn't subject her to the humiliation of accidents, per se.

My older daughter had been in disposables, and I found the transition to be too big of a jump for one step. What I did with her was buy oversized cotton training pants and cheap cloth diapers (Gerber, I think). I stuffed the cloth diaper into the pants. It held the pee, but she felt the wetness, and learned pretty quickly. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I din't think I'd have tried to send her to school that way, though.

My younger daughter has always been in cloth diapers, and we are just now moving to cloth trainers. There are a number of good ones out there -- flip trainers, antsy pants, swaddlebees, tinkle time trainers, snap-EZ, etc. those are more like cloth diapers in that they allow the child to feel wetness, but go on and off like a pullup.

If you didn't want to invest in cloth trainers, you could get some cheap cloth diapers ( or t-shirts, or thin towels) and cut them to fit inside her current diapers. One thin layer of cotton inside would allow her to feel the wetness, but still contain the mess, I would think. Mind you - I haven't tried this; it's just an idea I came up with. If they were really cheap and small, though, they wouldn't be a big investment or laundry commitment, and if a few got tossed accidentally, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Soooo, these are just my experiences and thoughts. Others may have very different input for you. Good luck!