Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Waldorf Homeschoolers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463644)

sambelina 11-14-2012 01:03 PM

Waldorf Homeschoolers?

My dd is in a Waldorf school right now, but we're moving and so we won't be able to continue. Just wondering if there are Waldorf homeschoolers here and what curriculum you use? DD is in year 3 of Kindergarten and will be in 1st grade for the next school year. I'm a little nervous about it.

janeen0225 11-14-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Waldorf Homeschoolers?

We homeschool in what I would call a Waldorf-inspired way. There's lots of great info out there, and some fabulous groups to support you.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

http://homespunwaldorf.com/wordpress/
(Those are my Passover and Purim blog entries on the front.)

And a couple of yahoo groups:

waldorfhomeeducators@yahoogroups.com

waldorfearlychildhoodbringingithome@yahoogroups.co m

You can do it!

RachelFlores 11-14-2012 03:16 PM

I believe Oak Meadow curriculum is Waldorf.

sambelina 11-14-2012 06:32 PM

Thanks ladies. I have looked at Oak Meadow and Christopherus. I just don't know. My dd teacher now is going to help me get started so that I can have a rhythm before we start academics next year. I wish I could have an actual school room. (Sorry, that's random I know!)

Green Decals 11-17-2012 11:28 PM

We are using Oak Meadow Kindergarten - my DS is six and I am leaning way more toward unschooling/child-led but married into a family of public school teachers (as in, 90% of DH's family members are all PS teachers or administrators) so we "do" a curriculum, or claim to. Anyway, we are very much a Waldorf family at heart, so "doing" school that way just made sense and felt right. It's actually really hard to assimilate with other homeschool families though, because they are all teaching their 4-year-olds how to read and I am specifically NOT teaching DS that yet. He will learn it on his own, when he is ready, and I will be there to help guide him. Right now we are just enjoying living, crafting, being creative, playing, and celebrating letters one by one. He is ready in so many ways to be doing higher level stuff, but I don't want to rush it - I'm not holding him back, I'm just not "going there" unless he asks about something. There's always time for school, so relax and let it happen as your LO wants it to - they're only young once.

keysersoze 11-18-2012 01:49 PM

We're presently using Enki, Grade 1 for DS1 who will be 7 at the end of Dec. We considered Live Ed, Oak Meadows, Waldorf Essentials, and Christopherus, but went with Enki because of it's focus on diversity and multiculturalism in the story choices.

I've gotten the impression from a lot of folks -- both here and IRL -- that it's crazy to use a curriculum for Waldorf HS, but we live in a highly regulated state, and TBH, we're still pretty new to Waldorf (really didn't start adopting things like rhythm and toy simplicity until DS1 was 4), not to mention homeschooling, and didn't know any other Waldorf homeschoolers until literally yesterday when I happened on a block drawing class and two different waldorf HS co-ops locally. Everyone else we know is of the school-at-home variety, and I wanted something to guide me, especially this first year of mandated reporting. I love Enki, but it's $$$$, and doesn't have materials past third grade. Enki is not Waldorf, strictly speaking; the founder, Beth Sutton, was a Waldorf teacher for many years, and the curriculum is most similar to Waldorf, though it does draw a bit from Montessori; i think the primary difference between traditional Waldorf and Enki is that Enki draws much more heavily on stories from all over the world, as opposed to strictly using Grimm's for grade one. I think we'll continue with Enki for second grade because I would rather use sages and tricksters than saints and heroes (we're Jewish and don't believe in saints), but beyond that, we'll look at Christopherus, OM, Live Ed, Waldorf Essentials, etc. as well as a diy plan.

You could also find out if there are any Waldorf homeschool groups near your new home; perhaps there's a co-op or a few similarly minded families. Good luck!