Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Amish birth center study (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463666)

Ellasundies 11-14-2012 02:24 PM

Amish birth center study

I came across this article yesterday while I was perusing the science news. I found it interesting and wanted to share. I would like to read the actual study but haven't found the time yet to look that up yet thanks to pink eye being in my house.

http://news.yahoo.com/amish-birth-ce...NQjFoANFHQtDMD

I think the one lady (emmag) in the comments section had an interesting thought.

"birthing centers can deliver babies "almost" as safely as hospitals? C-sections come with all sort of complications that can be life threatening to mothers, reducing them makes delivery safer in apparently all but 4% of women. Currently nearly, 60% of women are given c-sections in hospitals, this would make birthing centers safer than hospitals."

I realize she's not quite right with her percentages but it's still a good point. IMHO. I wonder how the birth centers complication rate compares to hospitals complication rates in the area.

EmilytheStrange 11-14-2012 02:50 PM

Re: Amish birth center study

Interesting article. I am glad that VBACs are becoming more widely accepted as a whole and perhaps this can be reduced in all hospital births as doctors become more comfortable or the older ones retire and some younger ones come in.

I think though, that the difference is simply that people who choose to work in birth centers are more open to natural births. You are usually dealing with midwives, etc.

Also, the number of births in a place probably has a lot to do with how women are pressured into csections. For instance, I am choosing between two hospitals for this birth. One of them, very vbac friendly - btw, has had a record of 41 births in a day at their facility. The other averages 2-4 births a day. So, the staff at one place would be a lot more extended than the other and I think this would easily contribute to the difference in csection rates.

The article seems to indicate that it took about 17 years to get almost 1000 births at that center, so on a day to day basis, they're definitely dealing with a completely different atmosphere.

CntryMama 11-14-2012 03:13 PM

I kinda question this whole study... None of my Amish neighbors would ever sign up for a study nor willing have a baby in a hospital. Only two of them have had to go to a hospital for complications (out of 24 total births). None of them even see doctors - when they deliver usually their husband comes over, asks to use our phone and call for a ride to pick up the midwife (who is also Amish!). Maybe these 'Amish' in this study are not true Amish... I know my neighbors would never willing see a doctor!

Ellasundies 11-14-2012 03:37 PM

The birthing center was run by a least one midwife and a GP. I also know quite a few Amish and they regularly see "English" midwives. In fact my own (English) midwife has quite a large percentage of her practice that is Amish. So I don't think them seeing a non-Amish midwife is that out of the norm. I can see the GP there being more for backup for peace of mind not necessarily delivery.

Emily I agree. But I think a large number of births at a place doesn't necessarily mean the staff is more extended. I think a more accurate way of determining that would be to ask what the staff per patient ratio is. It's possible that the larger place makes more money and has more people on staff per patient. IDK just something to think about.

RunawayBunny 11-14-2012 03:56 PM

I have no doubt that there would be fewer complications and c-sections at a birth center, but I think that looking at statistics is misleading. For example, I have been researching hospitals. The more affluent hospital has the only midwives within 75 miles of me. All of the doulas I have found mainly attend births there. It has two cloth diaper stores that teach natural birth methods. So you'd think lower c-section, right? Nope, its much higher because all the high risk mamas go there, too.

So I think you are right, OP, in that I would want to read the actual study before I would let it influence my decision. It doesn't influence me because we have no birth centers anyway.

weesej 11-14-2012 05:26 PM

Lots of Amish women use centers like this. There is a birth center staffed with an Amish midwife who has a Dr on call 1 hour from here. There is also a free standing birth center in Lancaster with Dr and midwives. Many, many Amish women use non-Amish midwives. In fact, I met my first Amish ladies attending thier births as an "Englischer" Although they would prefer an Amish or "plain" midwife, it is not always possible. Of course in Lancaster they are making a choice between a number of Amish, plain midwives, birth center and hospital. The birth center is very, very busy, caters entirely to the plain community and they are all there by choice.

JennTheMomma 11-14-2012 06:11 PM

Interesting study. I live by a lot of Amish and they use a regular Midwife, not an Amish Midwife. Some also give birth in the hospital here.

EmilytheStrange 11-14-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellasundies
Emily I agree. But I think a large number of births at a place doesn't necessarily mean the staff is more extended. I think a more accurate way of determining that would be to ask what the staff per patient ratio is. It's possible that the larger place makes more money and has more people on staff per patient. IDK just something to think about.

Well, I agree with you as well. But even if the staff:patient ratio is good, you also have to wonder about rooms, etc. If they see so many people that they need more rooms, feel like rushing the patients to get them out of laboring rooms, etc.

I don't know if that is really an issue, maybe I'm over thinking things. But I assume a hospital doesn't normally expect 40+ births a day and wouldn't have that many rooms? I don't know, I've only been to a birthing center so far and they only had 9 rooms. When we left, they were full.