Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   picking out corn on the cob (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146367)

zacharysma 05-12-2007 11:33 AM

picking out corn on the cob

I see people ripping open corn husks at the grocery store but what exactly are they looking at? How do you tell a difference other than the obvious chew marks at the top. How is white and yellow different, what do I look for as far as color etc. I just usually grab and throw in the bag. Sometimes I get lucky and other times my hubby tells me that the corn was not sweet, etc. Obviously I usually use frozen corn but since its summer I have been wanting to pick some up at the grocery store for those night time cook outs on the grill. YUM! Any ideas?

MamaMyers 05-12-2007 11:53 AM

Re: picking out corn on the cob

I have been wondering this same thing! Enlighten me!! :D

zacharysma 05-12-2007 02:28 PM

Goody, I am not the only one that has no clue.

CarrieMF 05-12-2007 02:51 PM

chew marks? what do you mean by that?

When you open the husks and look at the kernels you are looking for light to light/medium yellow kernels. You want these ones. They are the sweeter tasting corn, though some brands are more sweet than others.

If they are a dark medium yellow or with an orangish tinge they are overripe(rarely do you see those in the store)

If they are white or no-colour they are underripe and you do not want them.

If there is a mixture of white & light yellow that's okay as it is most likely just that brand.

You are also looking to make sure there are good formed kernels on the cob. Sometimes the upper 1/3-1/4 will have obviously underformed kernels. The rest of of the cob can be ripe, but check it to make sure because sometimes it isn't.

zacharysma 05-12-2007 03:23 PM

chew marks...I meant the stuff at the top where there are no kernals or the corn worm has gotten too. yep gross but true story is I had one in a can of green giant whole kernal corn and no longer eat canned anything because of it...okay so you didnt need to know all that but still thats what I meant by chew marks.

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 05-12-2007 03:24 PM

:giggle: i just got back from the produce store, and i was the only one not doing that, I was wondering what i was doing wrong LOL

dirtdartwife 05-12-2007 03:54 PM

yellow corn is sweeter than white, but if you only have white- when you're boiling it, put sugar into the water and it'll sweeten the corn.

I'm also looking for corn mold and deciding if it's something i can just cut off before cooking or not.

CarrieMF 05-12-2007 05:34 PM

I grow my own corn & have never seen corn worms or mold. Corn in the stores is just starting to come out here this week.

dirtdartwife 05-12-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF (Post 1073990)
I grow my own corn & have never seen corn worms or mold. Corn in the stores is just starting to come out here this week.

It's a fungus that will grow on mass produced corn. I've grown my own corn as well and have not had this problem, but it does occur and it's always something to look for as well. There's also the simple mildew from corn husks being damp and in a dark storage facility in transit that can grow down into the kernals. :thumbsup:

ETA: I checked on corn worms and found some interesting (albeit disgusting) info...corn worms and sweet corn worm. All I can say is blech...:yuck:

3lilbubs 05-12-2007 08:25 PM

checking for mold, and to be sure that they don't have a lot of "bald spots" due to non-pollinated kernels. To check for sweetness, gently press your fingernail into a kernel.. it should break open easily and the juice should be milky, not clear. If it does not break, pass it up. :)