Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   WDYT? Payment to a MW who dropped me at 40+ weeks/MW who picked me up? UPDATED AGAIN (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463700)

kannondicarpo 11-14-2012 04:36 PM

WDYT? Payment to a MW who dropped me at 40+ weeks/MW who picked me up? UPDATED AGAIN

I am just looking for unbiased opinions. I'll try to condense it.

I was seeing 2 MWs who were working together. The primary MW was having a difficult time pretty much from the second appointment with different things and wanted me to go in for an U/S. Ultimately I refused because I was comfortable with what my body was doing and confident that all was well. After a few more "hiccups" along the way (I didn't do a strict kick count -- not realizing that she wanted me to -- and refusing the GBS) we made it to 38 weeks and formulated a plan if I went late (I had gone 5 and 13 days late with #2 and #3 so I was feeling like I would go late again). We agreed to have 2 appointments at 40w and then 40+3ish. If I made it to 41 then we'd have another MW come in and assess me and then talk BPP (bio physical profile) at 42w if I made it that far.

I was happy with that plan, though I felt like she wasn't but she agreed to it knowing my history and my desire for little to no intervention (BPP).

At my 40w appt she said she wanted me to go for a BPP that week. I didn't want to go and told her so but she sheepishly told me again that she wanted me to. I took a few days to think about it and then called her at 40+2 to tell her that I wasn't ready to get one done and she dropped me on the spot despite us having talked about a plan 2 weeks earlier.

The second MW picked me up later that day. This really is a long story that I'm trying to tell Reader's Digest style...

I ended up going to 41+3. The original MW decided not even to back up the second MW so the second MW (along with a doula that I had never met but was PERFECT) attended the birth.

Here is the point... I'm leaving out some details on purpose that I'll come back and fill in later once I get opinions.

Do you think that some of the payment that I paid to the original MW is due to the second MW who attended the birth and did all of the the post partum visits?

UPDATE: OK. Yes, MW #1 and 2 were working together from the same "practice" and MW 2 was the one who picked me up. They are 2 home visiting MWs who are practicing together loosely. Not sure how to describe it. They are very professional with all of their ducks in a row just don't have a very structured practice. Trying not to make them sound under qualified because they both are.

Anyways, there was a contract between "them" and I but once this all went sideways I realized that there wasn't a breakdown of payments in the contract or a refund clause or anything. When MW 1 dropped me she told me that she had held a portion back (about 45%) and was happy to give it back to me to offer to another MW or MW #2 (at this point I wasn't sure if MW2 would pick me up but I communicated that I was going to ask her).

Fast forward. I had already paid in full and OOP. MW 2 picks me up and refuses to take a payment but agrees that we can apply it to her housing account -- she staffs on a missions based campus and has housing fees and lives on support which is a moot point and I know this is all getting wonky...stay with me!

I text MW #1 and ask her when a good time to come get payment from her would be and she says she talked to MW #2 on three occasions and she refused to take the payment but that if I can wait until the end of the month she will have the refund for me. She also said that I said for those two to work it out (but I'm not thinking that I did that because at that point I didn't even know if MW 2 would pick me up).

The point of all of this was that I know that I am emotionally tied to this so I just wanted to get outside perspective. I wanted to be sure that I (and my husband) wasn't the only one who thought that MW1 wasn't due all of the payment (the other 55% covered a reasonable rate for each of the prenatal appointments that she had covered) and that MW2 should be getting a decent amount for the bulk of care that she supplied.

***I know that I am probably missing some more info and I'll gladly clarify. I also know now to have more thorough contracts. This is my 4th birth with a MW and my 3rd homebirth. I've never had any problems and even gladly paid the MW who missed my last birth due to precipitous labor. Thanks for the input. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.6.12 UPDATE
:

She returned the money to me. Thanks for the input. :goodvibes:

MommyLyssa 11-14-2012 04:40 PM

Re: Unbiased opinions please. Payment to a MW who dropped me at 40+ weeks.

Umm...YES.

I mean, obviously not all of it, but she did the birth, which is kind of a large part...and also all the PP visits.

So sorry about that mess, btw. Don't normally hear MW issues! I mean, obviously there are some, but goodness. :(

bigmamakelsey 11-14-2012 04:41 PM

Re: WDYT? Payment to a MW who dropped me at 40+ weeks/MW who picked me up?

Are you paying OOP? Is it really up to you who it goes to?
That's crappy she dropped you - but it also sounds like it might be a blessing in disguise. I surely wouldn't want someone that didn't respect my wishes at my birth.

ETA: Oh, you already gave birth. Doh, sorry.

wooly_wonderful 11-14-2012 04:41 PM

I'm not sure how they calculate it out, but I would say yes some money, out of what was paid, should be given to the second midwife.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

knodceo 11-14-2012 04:43 PM

Is it the same practice? If not, then the first gets all pre baby appointments and the 2nd gets delivery and postpartum fees.

Bella Catalina 11-14-2012 04:43 PM

If my MW reneged on our agreement that way, without any due medical cause, then imo she doesn't deserve the entire payment.

WannaBeGreen2011 11-14-2012 04:46 PM

While I personally believe the second MW should get the money, that's not how it works in the real world.

We changed doctors over halfway through my pregnancy but only got back about 10% of the payments I paid the first doctor (ante-natal + delivery costs) and still had to pay the second doctor her full fee (ante-natal + delivery + post-partum care). My first doc did NOTHING for us yet we paid her a hefty chunk of change.

My situation is hard to explain, like yours, but I wish you all the best! I hope it works out in your favor!

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.

betty_joanne 11-14-2012 04:58 PM

If you have paid in full already to the 1st midwife then there isn't anything that you have to do. The 2nd midwife will have to work out who gets what with the 1st. Now, If you haven't paid in full yet then yeah you should pay the 2nd for delivery and postpartum fees.
But, If you have a contract then you would go by that. The contract should have "what ifs?" like your situation. Maybe you could have a meeting with both and work it out if you haven't paid in full.

mibarra 11-14-2012 05:23 PM

Hard to know without more details. I'm inclined to say not much, unless you paid a full fee upfront, then prorated, and only if postpartum was included in the payment.

kimb96 11-14-2012 05:34 PM

What is in your contract with regards to payment and her dropping you?