Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need sleep advice, if you breastfeed but dont co sleep (or didnt) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463712)

MamaZnR 11-14-2012 06:19 PM

I'll try to keep this short and sweet. DD is 12 months. At about 10.5 months I night weaned. It was great. She was sleeping from 730/8 to 5 or so. It varied but I never nursed before 4. It was great, my mood and attitude were improved :).
Then she got sick, teeth,sick again and now we are working on another tooth.
The time change didn't help either.
Now she goes to bed around 8 and wakes up around 11/12 again around 3/4 (it varies) and she is protesting now that I don't want to feed her through the night. (Since we went back while she has been sick) last night I was so out of it and tried not to feed her around 12 but it didn't work, and then she woke around 4, I didn't feed her and she cried on and off till 5, and I fed her. I usually just go in and say night night try to give her her pack, she throws it, and I go out. I'm so confused and tired and don't know what to do. I can't co sleep, and I need help, but I'm out of ideas! Please help! I can't keep nursing all night long. I know a lot of moms on here do, but I just can't. I need sleep!!

abunchoflemons 11-14-2012 06:31 PM

Re: Need sleep advice, if you breastfeed but dont co sleep (or didnt)

Can u pump/express so u can give her what she needs & it takes less time at nights? Try freezing in ice. Cybr tray & put in food mesh 4 her?

MamaZnR 11-14-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons
Can u pump/express so u can give her what she needs & it takes less time at nights? Try freezing in ice. Cybr tray & put in food mesh 4 her?

She won't take bottles and I have tried to give my milk to her in a cup, she wouldn't take it, maybe I should give her water in a cup? (That's all she drinks)

cbreeding 11-14-2012 07:28 PM

Maybe just try water. I know with the weather turning and my sick little one (who is 13mths), that sometimes he is thirsty or has a dry throat especially if he has been crying.

MsGiggles 11-14-2012 07:35 PM

:hugs: I TOTALLY understand where you are. BTDT, confused, exhausted, and breaking all the rules I set for myself.
For me, the answer was giving her a slightly earlier bedtime, telling her at bedtime that this is it for milk, then sending DH in the rest of the time until feeding seems appropriate or even DH can't hold me back!

disclaimer: this worked well and we gradually pushed the time between feeds, but my DD settled into a pattern of 7pmish bedtime, 11-12ish for one more big feed, the up at 6-7am for morning (but no feeding, just happily awake).

DD2 (10 mos now) rejected me a few weeks back, and I think it might have been bc I wasn't producing enough milk. Think my hormones were going weird on me, and she was getting barely an ounce or so from each breast. Hopefully this is not applicable to you! :)

MamaZnR 11-14-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGiggles
:hugs: I TOTALLY understand where you are. BTDT, confused, exhausted, and breaking all the rules I set for myself.
For me, the answer was giving her a slightly earlier bedtime, telling her at bedtime that this is it for milk, then sending DH in the rest of the time until feeding seems appropriate or even DH can't hold me back!

disclaimer: this worked well and we gradually pushed the time between feeds, but my DD settled into a pattern of 7pmish bedtime, 11-12ish for one more big feed, the up at 6-7am for morning (but no feeding, just happily awake).

DD2 (10 mos now) rejected me a few weeks back, and I think it might have been bc I wasn't producing enough milk. Think my hormones were going weird on me, and she was getting barely an ounce or so from each breast. Hopefully this is not applicable to you! :)

Thank you!! So do you think I should wake her 11/12 for an extra feed or just let her be? Tonight she was in bed @645....

MamaZnR 11-14-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbreeding
Maybe just try water. I know with the weather turning and my sick little one (who is 13mths), that sometimes he is thirsty or has a dry throat especially if he has been crying.

Good point :)

OHIOFIFI 11-14-2012 08:23 PM

We have been struggling with the same thing -- DS is 15 months. Our ped recommended waking DS up starting 30mins BEFORE he normally woke for the 11/12 feeding. I work evenings so I would wake him up when I got home at 1130pm. Do that for a few days and then move it back 30min-1hr. Do that for a few days and then move it back again. The idea is that eventually he will not get up at all for the feeding. It worked for us initially and we went from 4-5 night wakings down to 2-3. Now we have 2 molars cutting and the time change really messed him up so we need to start over again.
We also found that if DH goes in when DS wakes, sometimes he will go back to sleep within a few minutes and won't need a bottle or nurse session. It's like DS expects/depends on it being me but when it's DH coming in, he is OK with just a quick rock in the chair and his paci. Doesn't always work but sometimes it does. Otherwise DH gives him a bottle.
Wish I had the answer for you and me. Last night was the best night so far with only 2 wakings so I am keeping my fingers crossed he will do as well tonight. We both were much happier today. GL !!

ETA : Oh, and we moved DS bedtime back to 730pm

Melinda29 11-14-2012 10:46 PM

I breastfed all four kids and never co-slept. They night-weaned around 3-4 months using the method I describe below, but BF until my supply dried up from the next pregnancy (usually 18-24 month).

The best thing we ever did was wait a few minutes when baby cries out at night before going in to feed (starting at birth). Often times they are just fussing in their sleep as they transition between sleep cycles. By going in there to nurse, I would be inadvertently waking them up instead of letting their bodies transition to the next cycle (even though they sometimes fussed so much they seemed really awake). I would watch the clock and make myself wait 5-10 minutes before going in. It was hard but I was really doing my babies a favor by not interrupting their sleep.

When we had sleep regressions with older babies, I found that putting them to bed slightly earlier helps, along with waking before the feed like pp said. So put him to bed at say 7:00-7:30, wake again at maybe 10:00 to dream feed. Also having DH go in instead of mama helped, like pp said they expect milk from me :).

essential1892 11-14-2012 11:10 PM

I have no advice, but I want to say that I am there with you on wanting and needing sleep! My daughter just turned one and she literally just started sleeping through the night a couple of weeks ago. If she stops sleeping through the night I am going to go from happy, rested mom to grumpy tired mom.

It figures because my first two kids were so easy at night- baby 3 is our last and she is making me crazy!