Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   i made my first fitted diaper and have a few questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463736)

calianna 11-14-2012 06:46 PM

i made my first fitted diaper and have a few questions

My niece has a baby alive doll and buying desposible diapers just so she could basiclly pour water in it and then throw it away wasnt only wastefull but expensive too, so her mom stopped buying them and i decided to try and make a fitted cloth diaper. It turned out really well (at least i think) but i have a few questions,

first what is a cheap diaper cover thats small enough for a doll?

Second, i used regular cotton fabric for the inside, made a soaker pad out of flannel that is eight layers thick and sewed that to the inside piece and the outside is made out of flannel also, would this work for a real baby? Just curious.

And for my last question (for now) the diaper is about the right size for a newborn and it barely holds three tablespoons of water, is this normal for that size of diaper or do i need to put more layers of flannel in the middle of the next diaper i make?

And kinda off topic here but since im new i was wondering if there are any "unspoken rules" i guess you could call them that i should know about, i.e. some forums perfer you to look up old threads when your curious about something while others get steaming mad when you "resurrect" an old thread.

Skybaby712 11-14-2012 11:17 PM

I am no help at the diaper questions (no diaper making skills at all for me).

DS is very good about not getting mad when people ask the same questions, over and over and over... Usually if someone ask a question and there's a really awesome thread about it, someone might post a link to that thread. Also, other people just answer them anyways. Everyone's mind is always changing about diapers and information, new threads are good IMO. Also, resurrecting an old thread is fun!! There are lots of them floating around that have been around for a long time. This is generally how it goes. Sometimes though if people ask repeated questions less people post, maybe people are ignoring it or that's just coincidence to me, not sure. HTH! And welcome to DS!!

treegirl75 11-15-2012 06:17 AM

Welcome! Proraps makes a preemie cover that says it fits from 2-6lbs, and it's just under $9. Honestly, I'd look here on fsot and try to get some used NB or preemie covers for way less than that. There are minimum posts required to buy or sell, so make sure to check those rules. :)

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own

treegirl75 11-15-2012 06:20 AM

Oh, and for your fitted question - I think the absorbency sounds fine for a NB, but I'd probably go with flannel as the inner layer as well. It would be softer than "regular" cotton, unless it was cotton knit.

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own

mamarudy 11-15-2012 08:01 AM

Re: i made my first fitted diaper and have a few questions

rumparooz i believe actually makes doll diapers. i saw them at a local CD shop by me

Katiebug_1976 11-15-2012 08:57 AM

Rumparooz makes doll diapers/covers from their scraps for $4.00. Here is a link...I thought about my own dd when I was these. Too cute!!
http://www.kanga-care.com/Rumparooz-...rs_p_124.html#

calianna 11-15-2012 10:57 AM

So are they diapers or covers? I read the description but they just called it a diaper.

How do i tell if its cotton knit or just cotton?

kbevie 11-15-2012 11:00 AM

You could try making a preemie cover out of PUL. I made a diaper for my daughter but she doesn't put water in it, so I'm no help.

calianna 11-15-2012 11:16 AM

I looked at PUL fabric but unless im looking in the wrong place its almost 13 dollars for a yard and i only need enough for a little cover so i think it would be more cost effective to try and find a cover for less. And im hoping someone will know if the rumparooz are covers because they're only 4 dollars.

rumblepurr 11-15-2012 11:23 AM

I'm thinking the rumparooz doll diaper is an AIO (all in one = cover and diaper in one) diaper. Bummis newborn diaper cover would probably work for a doll diaper cover, but since you sew, you might look at PUL fabric at Jo-Ann's, or diaper fabric stores online. You can buy a diaper cut for $3 online. If you have a coupon you could get some pretty cheap at Jo-Ann's. You could probably get at least 2 covers out of a diaper cut for a doll.

For the fitted diaper you are making you could add another layer in the body to make it stronger and more absorbent, but with a cover the liquid will disperse throughout the fabric and will hold more. I would try out making an AIO using pul as the outer so it is easier for your niece to put on and take off.

If you are interested in making diapers for a real baby, go with a diaper fabric store PUL. Jo-Ann's is hit or miss with quality, and often delaminate in anything over warm water. This wouldn't matter with a doll diaper, which could be hung dry between uses, or washed on warm or cold, unlike real diapers.