Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Cytotec induction? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463778)

Mommabeebritt 11-14-2012 10:53 PM

Cytotec induction?

I'm being induced Monday at 7 am and my midwife is using cytotec pill to get things started. However I just researched it and now I'm a little scared. Has any one had this pill given to them before? I'm reading that it isn't even FDA approved... How can they give it to me? I'm hopin he comes on his own so we don't have to be induced. But I'm wondering anyone's expierence with this drug.

bigmamakelsey 11-14-2012 10:55 PM

Re: Cytotec induction?

It's FDA approved, but for something else entirely. It actually has a caution sign on the label "Not for use by pregnant women." I would absolutely refuse cytotec.

Mommabeebritt 11-14-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey (Post 15934785)
It's FDA approved, but for something else entirely. It actually has a caution sign on the label "Not for use by pregnant women." I would absolutely refuse cytotec.

I just find it very odd they would use it for induction if it isn't safe for pregnant women. Maybe I just have to much faith in the health care system. I am really worried now

OHIOFIFI 11-14-2012 11:09 PM

I was prescribed cytotec to induce my miscarriage when I lost my twins. It starts contractions and I have heard of it being used to induce labor. If you are uncomfortable with it, maybe ask for another med like Pitocin.

ktmelody 11-14-2012 11:11 PM

It has a label for pregnant women because it induces labor. Therfore giving it to a woman prior to full term would be risky and almost def cause early delivery. Since you are term that is not a risk. There is a risk of uterine rupture but that risk is possible with pitocin as well. Any induction medicine has risks and somide effects. Cytotec works faster and is cheaper than pitocin and why some providers choose it over pitocin.

All medications have potential side effects. Cytotec does save lives (it can be used for severe bleeding in labor).

Talk with your midwife and ask why she used cytotec over pitocin or foley bulb or prostglandin strips. Ask if you will be taking it orally or vaginally.

What is your bishops score? Are you dilated at all? Is there a risk if you wait longer? How many weeks are you? Is babys health at risk if you dont deliver monday?

Greenbabybottoms 11-14-2012 11:12 PM

I got cytotec with my first to ripen my cervix. That was 6 years ago and I think some of the risks werent as readily known. That said it was my best and fastest labor. I got a total of 1/2 pill (they did 1/4 each time) inserted vaginally. Knowing what I know now I don't know if I would agree to it again but it really was not a bad experience at all. I did still have pitocin though, the induction was not only dependent on cytotec. They did 1/4 pill at 9 pm then another 1/4 at about 1 am. It did get me from 1 cm to 3 cm but did not actually cause any noticeable contractions.

There are some scary stories floating around about it and you have to weigh the risk. When I went in for my induction with my 3rd cytotec was discussed and I see a grop of midwives who I trust 1 thousand percent, they felt very strongly that any risk was absolutely minimal if it was administered cautiously. I ended up just starting with pitocin since I was contracting regularly and had been 4-5 cm for several days.

7 for now 11-14-2012 11:20 PM

I would never consent to a Cytotec induction. Once inserted, if you get contractions that cause decels in baby's heart you can't turn it off. It can also cause contractions that last too long and are too close together and again can't be reversed. The risk it too great for me to ever consent to it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Mommabeebritt 11-14-2012 11:23 PM

I'll be 41 weeks on Sunday, I'm 2 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I didn't know anything about this drug so I didn't even ask questions I assumed it was just a normal thing. My midwife wants to induce because she doesn't want him to get to big. I had a non stress test today and it went very well. Personally I think she is just eager to deliver him.

OHIOFIFI 11-14-2012 11:31 PM

If you are already dilated, I would ask for a different med, personally.

ashley84 11-14-2012 11:34 PM

DS was born at 42+2. I just barely escaped an induction. My midwife originally suggested Cytotec too. I had educated myself ahead of time. I absolutely refused Cytotec. Our induction plan was to break my water, use a breastpump at regular intervals, and walk when I wasn't pumping. Thankfully, I went into labor on my own the day before I was scheduled to go.

Check out these links:
The Tatia Oden French Memorial Foundation
The Hidden Truth – my *untold* Cytotec story

There are plenty of other horror stories out there. I know that it's commonly used for inductions and that most moms and babies handle it just fine. I still wouldn't go down that path myself. Good luck, mama! I hope you go into labor on your own and can avoid and induction altogether!