Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   back sleeping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463793)

arstrob 11-15-2012 01:40 AM

back sleeping

my daughter just turned a month old a couple of days ago and when i was in the hospital with her the nurses told me to put her on her side to sleep in case she spits up she wont choke on it and so that is what we have been doing because she does spit up quite a bit. well here recently there was an incident with these people i used to know where their 5 month old died in her crib and they said it was SIDS and now i am so scared that might happen to my daughter. i dont want her to choke on her spit up but i am so afraid of SIDS! i feel like im getting no sleep because im so scared of something happening! does anyone have any advice on what i should do? i would seriously die if anything happened to my little girl but i just cant function like this...

Angel89411 11-15-2012 05:49 AM

If she is on her back, her head will be tilted to the side most likely. Both of mine slept on their backs until they could roll over. And Ds1 had bad reflux.

And as for the couple...my heart hurts for them and this is in no way blaming anyone or playing down the death. But most cases where it was diagnosed as SIDS were really cases of asphyxiation from blankets, adults under the influence and co-sleeping or otherwise unwise sleeping practices. So know that as long as you do everything as safe as possible then the chances of actual SIDS is pretty low. Though I worried myself literally sick with both boys. It's how we ended up co sleeping. I wasn't sleeping out of fear.

Done at 3 11-15-2012 07:21 AM

I got a Snuza monitor with this baby and I sleep so much better knowing it will alert me if he's not breathing in his co-sleeer.

abunchoflemons 11-15-2012 07:53 AM

Re: back sleeping

My sil was told front fr 4 kids & back for others (8 total). My oldest was back & my 2nd was tummy sleeper. Yes there are babies that do pass but lots more have lived on tummy, back & side sleeping.

abunchoflemons 11-15-2012 07:58 AM

Re: back sleeping

They really don't know what's behind sids so one will hear back, some hear side....most nowadays not hear tummy....

Alaga 11-15-2012 08:03 AM

Try the Fisher Price Rock N Play sleeper! It's kind of an ugly contraption (like an angled bassinet), but has worked great for my 2 super spitters! We were terrified to let our DD sleep on her back when she was spitting up so much, and the RNP was a godsend (and again for DS!)!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

TwinKristi 11-15-2012 11:44 AM

I agree, the RNP Sleeper is a great idea! You have the elevation combined with being on their back! But some people recommend a Noggin Nest for their head to avoid flattening if they sleep in it for extended periods of time.