Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Self cleaning oven and pizza stone questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463829)

kushie tushie 11-15-2012 07:37 AM

Self cleaning oven and pizza stone questions

I usually take my stoneware out of the oven before I do the self clean mode but do I have too? Its just super high temp. :dunno:

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

1sttimemommy 11-15-2012 07:52 AM

Re: Self cleaning oven and pizza stone questions

Unless it's a brand I've never heard of, you should NEVER leave your stone in the oven unless it's being used. The rule of thumb w/ stoneware is that unless 2/3 of the surface is covered you can cause a thermal shock to the product that can cause it to shatter worse case... best case you're causing tiny cracks throughout that weaken the stone which may cause it to shatter when filled w/ food.

Also, stones are usually only rated to around 450 so should never be used in a broiler and def. never during a self clean cycle.

harmoni247 11-15-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sttimemommy (Post 15935487)
Unless it's a brand I've never heard of, you should NEVER leave your stone in the oven unless it's being used. The rule of thumb w/ stoneware is that unless 2/3 of the surface is covered you can cause a thermal shock to the product that can cause it to shatter worse case... best case you're causing tiny cracks throughout that weaken the stone which may cause it to shatter when filled w/ food.

Also, stones are usually only rated to around 450 so should never be used in a broiler and def. never during a self clean cycle.

Oops.....

Better go take my stoneware out :blush:

jessicanashville 11-15-2012 09:31 AM

I sold Pampered Chef for a few years and ruined one by doing this....I can still use it but it is black instead of brown and it looks bad.

kushie tushie 11-15-2012 09:43 AM

Hmmm, gotcha! I totally thought I could keep it in the oven all the time as long as there wasnt anything resting on it.

I'll take it out before I do a self clean cycle too (I always do anyways).

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

UmmKira 11-15-2012 09:49 AM

Yep, I've broken two Pampered Chef stones by just broiling them. Oops.

krispy79 11-15-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sttimemommy

I think this only applies to Pampered Chef stoneware to limit their liability. I have a bunch of stoneware and PC is the only one I have ever heard should not preheated (but I do anyway).
My Old Stone Oven pizza stone is preheated every time I turn on my oven and of course for pizza which I do at 500. It is recommended to preheat their stoneware. The stone will be 10 years old in march and still going strong. However, I would not clean my oven with it in there, too hot and for too long to risk my beautiful fully seasoned pans.