Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463830)

MaterofJacob 11-15-2012 07:42 AM

What do you do...

When your LO hurts hi or herself? Like not a serious hurt but like they hit their hand on something. With DS1 I would kiss it, but then it just got out of hand. He liked me kissing it so he would purposely hit something then run to me wanting me to kiss it :giggle: So now we've come up with the "Rub it Shake it" method. When he runs to us we ask what hurts (usually a hand or foot) then we tell him to rub it. Then we tell him to shake it. He thinks it's so funny lol

So what do you do?

Belle 11-15-2012 07:48 AM

I tell my boys to "blow it out". Like puff up their cheeks and blow the air out a few times. If they are upset and I start doing it, they usually giggle. And it gives them something to focus on other than screaming about a minor injury.

Pixi6s 11-15-2012 08:05 AM

Re: What do you do...

We kiss it, but it never turned into "a thing"

my2sweets 11-15-2012 08:17 AM

With dd1 the kiss it method backfired at 3 so after that I stopped responding really. I look at her and wait for her to tell me what she needs or sometimes ask if she's ok if she seems actually hurt. If you ask if she's alright right off the bat with any concern in your voice she starts crying/screaming so it has been a fine line for years. She is very dramatic but luckily starting to finally outgrow it some.

With dd2-who only crys when she really is hurt- I go to imediately and ask whats wrong. Ask if she wants me to kiss it and then we may cuddle if she wants too.

L J 11-15-2012 08:22 AM

I tell them to run it off. They run in a circle shaking whatever they hurt if possible, then fall down laughing.

thealmightyme 11-15-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L J
I tell them to run it off. They run in a circle shaking whatever they hurt if possible, then fall down laughing.

My Fil does this himself. It's the funniest thing to see a 76 year old man walking around in a circle wringing or shaking his hands.

For me it depends on what happened. I have a very clumsy 20 month old who hits his head several times a day. He usually comes to me screaming. I'll pick him up and cuddle a bit while I tell him he is okay. When he bites his lip when he falls, which happens monthly or so, I pick him up hold tightly and put pressure with a towel on the bleeding area to stop the bleeding. By the time the bleeding had stopped, and I relax the hold he stops crying immediately.

ClothAngel 11-15-2012 02:08 PM

Re: What do you do...

We do the same thing. Kisses or shake it off :) We always try to not to make small falls a big deal, seems like however we react that's how she reacts lol!