Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   NB Sandy's vs GMD Workhouse and best covers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463860)

K.D. 11-15-2012 09:06 AM

NB Sandy's vs GMD Workhouse and best covers

1. Have you tried both? If so, which did you prefer and why?

2. Which covers would you use for each (or both) of Sandy's and GMD Workhorse, size NB?

I am thinkng of ME AF XS, Thirsties Duo Size 1, and Bumis SuperBrite NB.

Background: DD was 6 lb 8 oz at term. I only had OS BG and it was too big to fit properly for a few months. I want to be prepared for #2! I have Sandy's S and Bamboozle Size 1 for overnight and like both.

Nerissa 11-15-2012 10:07 AM

Re: NB Sandy's vs GMD Workhouse and best covers

DD was 8lbs 7oz at birth and dropped to 7lb 15oz for a good two weeks. I loved GMD newborn workhorse diapers or GMD newborn (orange edge) PF and prowrap NB covers. She was on the bigger end of the fit for those and they still lasted a good month. They easily would fit a smaller baby.

I didn't have any NB Sandy's

elvenmama 11-15-2012 11:20 AM

I haven't tried the gmd fitteds but I don't recommend the NB Sandys. They weren't very absorbent and it was hard to get covers to fit overtop...unless you're doing wool.

sunlightmlp 11-15-2012 11:25 AM

I haven't tried the Sandy's, but I loved the newborn workhorses for the first month. My son got down to 7 lb, 5 oz and they fit just fine for several weeks. The Thirsties Duo Size 1 fits great with the newborn workhorse (as does the Thirsties XS, although I'd recommend the Duo since you can use it longer). I didn't personally use the Bummis NB, but my sister-in-law (who also used the newborn workhorses) tried it out and preferred the Thirsties Duo.

dannic 11-15-2012 01:15 PM

I had both and preferred the work horses over the sandys...I like the sandys, but I LOVE the workhorses!

dannic 11-15-2012 01:28 PM

And I love thirsties duo 1s...I tried dappi, prorap, summis super lite, baby beehinds, and rar nb...I liked the rar and thirsties best...now at over 12 lbs I prefer flips.

nettepoet 11-15-2012 05:18 PM

jumping in: i have a question...is there a difference in absorbency between the organic unbleached and bleached? (talking specifically about the GMD workhorses and/or the GMD orange edge prefolds)

MamaJoyful 11-16-2012 09:57 AM

I loved XS Sandy's Bamboo with wool. We also used Bummis nylon pull on covers. Now Bummis has pull on style PUL colored covers. I really like those because they won't rub on or irritate the healing cord area. If you want the other style, I'd do Thristies Duos size 1. The other covers you mentioned are thicker so not as pliable on a newborn. I didn't try the GMD workhorse, but I'd get some for sure! Now they come with the extra doubler/flap and they are only 5.50 for an organic fitted! I'd get a bunch of those, some Bummis pull on covers, and some wool. Wool works great under newborn cotton sleep gowns :)

LRL 11-16-2012 12:44 PM

We're using GMD yellow workhorses with Thirsties Duo Size 1's over them. DD was 6 lb 13 oz a birth and about that same size at one week when we started cloth. We love this combo!

revolekim 11-16-2012 01:43 PM

DD peed through her workhorse, and I wasn't fond of the fit (she was around 7 lbs 4 oz when I tried it). And I didn't try and Bummis Super Brite, but I did have a newborn Bummis Super Whisper Wrap and I couldn't use it until her cord fell off because the rise was too high. The best cover I had from the beginning was a newborn prorap.