Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Daycare positives (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463882)

Meganeliz9 11-15-2012 10:15 AM

Daycare positives

I am really tired of all the judgey SAHMs and others who think that daycare is an evil word and that I'm a bad mom because I work FT and have to send my child to daycare. (Both on boards like this and in my personal life)

There are lots of positives to daycare! I'd love to hear your daycare positives and good stories about an awesome daycare teacher or experience you've had.

So far my little one has been at his center for 1 month. He's well taken care of, even if it's not by me. I think the quality of the time I spend with him is more important than the quantity. Daycare kids are usually more flexible about their routines. They are more social earlier and usually have better abilities to share, play nicely with other children, and even communicate. They have a much easier time transitioning to school. That's what I can think of right now--what are yours?

(this is not to say that home daycares are bad or having family watch your children is bad--I'm just sick of the assumption that daycare is a lesser alternative or a last resort)

dancermommy1 11-15-2012 11:03 AM

Re: Daycare positives

I think a lot of moms may have this opinion because there are a good many chain style daycares that underpay their workers, who may have very little education and very little training. Everyone knows there are advantages and disadvantages to both keeping your kids at home and sending them to daycare...at least, that's my experience.

I love the daycare my child attends. he's been there 2 1/2 years and they (and his classmates) are like family. They are part of our university's early learning program, so the staff is amazing and highly educated, and there is a VERY low turnover rate. The children view the staff as family. The children in his class have been with him since he was 3 months old. They are his siblings, essentially. He communicates amazingly well with both kids and adults, and he has learned SO much from the staff and kids at the center. Plus, he gets a lot more different types of activities there than he would at home, because they have more access to different types of materials than I would.

He does play very well with others, and he does share well. However, I know many many children of SAHMs that play well with others, communicate extremely well, and share well.

It's important that we each do what is best for our families, whether that is staying at home or sending our kids to daycare. Be careful not to fall in the trap of judging the kids of SAHM by suggesting their kids are less well adjusted because of lack of socialization--that's the same type of judgement you are accusing them of.

grahamcracker 11-15-2012 11:03 AM

Everything you say is true! There is nothing wrong with a child in day care. I really believe that yes it is the quality of time not quantity. You have to do what is best for your family.

Alaga 11-15-2012 11:43 AM

From a burnt-out SAHM, I'd love some good daycare up in here!! ;)

You can maybe go shopping or get a haircut at lunch! You can talk to adults! You can go out to lunch at a fun, non-kid friendly restaurant! You can go "potty" by yourself! Your kiddo may potty train/learn more easily b/c they see other kiddos do it!!

I'm only slightly kidding, ha ha. No matter how much they judge, there are days that they are jealous. Trust me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

s@hmommy 11-15-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaga (Post 15936394)
From a burnt-out SAHM, I'd love some good daycare up in here!! ;)

You can maybe go shopping or get a haircut at lunch! You can talk to adults! You can go out to lunch at a fun, non-kid friendly restaurant! You can go "potty" by yourself! Your kiddo may potty train/learn more easily b/c they see other kiddos do it!!

I'm only slightly kidding, ha ha. No matter how much they judge, there are days that they are jealous. Trust me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I am a little jealous today!

Our local daycare is fantastic, the lady in the infant room has worked there for 15 years, and they have several others that have been there over or around 10 years. They have a very low turnover rate. I would have no problem sending my kids there if I were to go back to work.

Kabuki24 11-15-2012 11:54 AM

I'm pretty sure my son loves daycare and has lots of fun! He goes to a home daycare, and his daycare mom is very loving to all the kids. We feel so lucky to have found her.
There are many, many postives to daycare.

escapethevillage 11-15-2012 01:29 PM

My daycare kids love it here. They miss each other after a vacation. Nobody ever comes in crying.

keen1981 11-15-2012 01:37 PM

My daycare babies were a part of my family! I was even the one to go get daycare baby after he switched and they kicked him out after 3 hours. (in their defense he screamed the most unreal shrill scream..) lol!! I woulda kept him but my deployed DH was coming home. Anyhow/ they were our babies and loved on them dearly! My boys treated them like little brothers and I took them-always. Very fond memories!

Van1300 11-15-2012 02:29 PM

We send our DD to a full time 3's class at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) and my newborn will start full time in January in an infant class. I went to the same JCC growing up. It is an awesome school and won Nickelodeon's Mom Choice award the last 2 years for our area. My daughter loves her teachers and her class and has learned so many new things. She gets three languages, english/spanish/hebrew and her teach has also been teaching her sign language. As far as religion, she is learning all the holidays and bible stories. She is also getting the typical letters/numbers/play time she needs. Plus gym, art, music and field trips to the post office/grocery store etc.

We are so happy to send our kids there. It makes it easy to work out of the house all day and I love my job. Knowing they are well taken care of is a blessing.

jennym91005 11-15-2012 04:45 PM

I work ft overnights and have been massively sleep deprived (like 2-3 hr a day) since my son was born 6 yr ago. I felt like i shouldn't do daycare bc i was home during the day... Then in sept i smartened up and since my soon was in kindy, i put my daughter in dc 2 days a wk. She freaking loves it! The moment her eyes open in the am, she says "school school?". She now has little buddies of her own. Its so cute, i ask her who her friends are and she names them all. Its awesome. ,i love my time to asleep if i worked or to shop if i didn't or clean my house. and she live those 9 hrs a week at "school"