Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Weather and sending the kids outside to play (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463938)

happysmileylady 11-15-2012 01:23 PM

Weather and sending the kids outside to play

What are your personal guidelines/restrictions regarding the weather when you send your kids outside to play? When is it too hot or too cold? What about rain or snow or damp conditions? Muddy out or not?

monkeymama07 11-15-2012 01:55 PM

Unless therea like 40 mile winds or its below freezing we go out.

We just dress weather appropriate.

badmisterkitty 11-15-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Weather and sending the kids outside to play

I was surprised to read in the school handbook that they send all kids outside down to minus 20 degrees. I guess they have proper winter attire and they are moving around, so it's probably no big deal. *I* wouldn't want to be out in that kind of cold. LOL

At home, because i still have to go outside with them, we rarely go out in the winter. We are often out in the summer heat, though. No temp is really too high, though it usually only gets to 90-100 at the hottest. We just take the necessary precautions, same as we would in winter.

s@hmommy 11-15-2012 02:05 PM

We don't go out if there is heat/cold advisory, sleet, or thunderstorms. All other times are fair game, even rain./

Dmpmercury 11-15-2012 02:06 PM

The schools around here will have recess until 10 below I believe. I personally will take my kids out to play in temperatures as low as 0 degrees unless it was really windy. I don't love going out in cold weather but I think it is good to get out on a regular basis in the cold weather even though it is a pain in the butt to dress 3 kids properly and it takes a lot of time to prep. I do bring them out in the rain and snow too. We have good gear for the outdoors. It never gets too hot here to go outside but I think I would go out if it was really hot too. It would probably be in the morning or involve sprinklers or water so they have a way to cool down while playing.

ClothAngel 11-15-2012 02:06 PM

We always just dress appropriately. As long as it isn't raining or snowing (although don't mind a light snow) then we just dress extra warm :) We don't mind mud, just wear appropriate clothing :)

EmilytheStrange 11-15-2012 02:15 PM

I don't think there's a 'too hot' to be outdoors. Appropriate dress, sunscreen and lots of water. In fact, I'd opt for water play and stuff in the shade. There have been times when it's been flat out too hot to play on the playground because all the equipment was hot.. but we just got out the sidewalk chalk and did that instead. (unless of course, you live in an area that is seriously too hot, like Death Valley, and then okay).

as far as cold.. I don't really think there's a 'too cold' that I've encountered. We just bundle up. But, like today and yesterday, we didn't go outside because I didn't feel like bundling up, but that's more mom's laziness :) it's not quite as damp today, so maybe I'll bundle her up after naptime.

wet and such.. depends on if I have good shoes and if it's cold or hot. I am better with wet and hot than I am with cold and wet. I don't want her getting sick.. but if it's cold enough to bundle her, then it'll be okay. snow is just as wet as rain in a way.

Muddy? I'm pretty okay with mud. I've let her cover herself in mud just after a graduation ceremony when she was wearing a nice dress. It probably depends on HOW nice of a dress... but I'm fairly flexible as long as I have a change of clothes within a short distance.

mmmom 11-15-2012 02:18 PM

We go out until it hits about -25C, the kids school has a cut off of -23C.
It never gets too hit here and rain, wind and all that good stuff is not a problem. My kids love to go out in the rain, especially

ktmelody 11-15-2012 02:22 PM

We dont get below 30 ish in the winter so we go out.

But in the summer we get 105-115 and dont play outside over 105. It just isnt safe.

abunchoflemons 11-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeymama07 (Post 15936865)
Unless therea like 40 mile winds or its below freezing we go out.

We just dress weather appropriate.

Agree. Rain boots/ winter without liners for water & weather appropriate stuff.little one not like winter coat so a bit of a hassle.....