Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   my obgyn won't transfer my records to my new obgyn and won't return my calls? help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464012)

happymama1 11-15-2012 04:32 PM

my obgyn won't transfer my records to my new obgyn and won't return my calls? help!

I'm feeling really stuck, and let down right now :(

My "current" obgyn recently lost privileges at her hospital (and can't deliver babies until she gets a new place). I have been hearing more and more info about why (which includes a major lawsuit against her and the hospital), and combined with the fact that she is in practice entirely by herself (no office staff), I've decided that I would like to switch to an OBGYN that delivers at a different hospital! (there is lots more to the story).

I feel bad for what my current obgyn is going through, but it has been over a week since I told her I would be switching and sent in the release to have her fax my records. The new OBGYN can't see me until she sees my previous records (part of their policy), and after leaving 3 messages and calling several times each day and getting no answer...I'm not sure what else to do?

She won't return my calls and I'm getting nowhere. Its going to take a few weeks to get an appointment with my new OBGYN, after she gets my records...

any advice??

mommycass 11-15-2012 04:51 PM

Re: my obgyn won't transfer my records to my new obgyn and won't return my calls? he

Sorry your dealing with that:hugs:
Is your "current" OB not in her office any longer?(I would just go there if she is). Was she connected with the hospital, as in, would they have access to your records? That's how it was with my DD1. I could get copies through the hospital. Or just ask hospital administration their advice to get in touch with the OB and how to get your records. Since they employed her, I would think they should be able to help in some way(you might have to be persistent).
If it continues, I might try another OB who would be more understanding of the situation. HTH some:)

mommycass 11-15-2012 04:51 PM

Re: my obgyn won't transfer my records to my new obgyn and won't return my calls? he

DP

whiteyacht 11-15-2012 04:58 PM

You will need to sign a release form. Then they have 30 days to send your records. It would be faster if you signed the form at your new OB's office and they faxed it to your old doc. Just call the new OB and tell them what's up, you aren't the first person to switch! :)

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Palooka 11-15-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyacht
You will need to sign a release form. Then they have 30 days to send your records. It would be faster if you signed the form at your new OB's office and they faxed it to your old doc. Just call the new OB and tell them what's up, you aren't the first person to switch! :)

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Yep it can take 30 days for records. I'm surprised your new ob won't just make the appointment. You shouldn't be going without prenatal care.

abunchoflemons 11-15-2012 05:08 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommycass (Post 15937502)
Sorry your dealing with that:hugs:
Is your "current" OB not in her office any longer?(I would just go there if she is). Was she connected with the hospital, as in, would they have access to your records? That's how it was with my DD1. I could get copies through the hospital. Or just ask hospital administration their advice to get in touch with the OB and how to get your records. Since they employed her, I would think they should be able to help in some way(you might have to be persistent).
If it continues, I might try another OB who would be more understanding of the situation. HTH some:)

RunawayBunny 11-15-2012 05:48 PM

I asked for my records to be transferred and it took 30 days. Will your new OB not make an exception given that your old ob lost the ability to provide you with care? I had to switch due to insurance reasons and my new ob office said I needed the records prior to the appt. I called and told them how long it would take and she told me to come in anyway.

JennTheMomma 11-15-2012 06:30 PM

I never had to go through my OBs office, just the record depertment. I signed a release form and they mailed them to me within a few days.

happymama1 11-15-2012 06:50 PM

Thanks for the input! I have already faxed over the release form (a week ago)...I didn't realize that OB's have 30 days to give you your records? I would just ask for the records department, but she's literally the only person on staff at her practice. The hospital does not have access to her records.

I've tried talking with the new ob's office...I will find out monday (hopefully) if they will make an exception for me.

NikkiGig 11-15-2012 08:49 PM

Something similar happened to me this pregnancy only I was dropped by an OB because they didn't want to attend a secondary VBAC. THEY initiated a transfer to a new OB who would attend a VBAC, but they sent my records to the wrong place and they were never received by the new OB. I contacted the old OB over and over about getting my records to the correct office because like you the new office wouldn't see me until they had records in hand. Finally after TEN weeks with no prenatal care (and I am considered high risk with type 1 diabetes!) the new OB office took pity on me and said they would see me first and then THEY would personally hound the old OB for my records.