Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   UTI with no symptoms or just third-trimester pressure? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464017)

Harmony96 11-15-2012 04:40 PM

UTI with no symptoms or just third-trimester pressure?

So a Facebook thread now has me all paranoid and I'm wondering if all the pressure that I've been feeling is a UTI and not just third-trimester baby discomfort. I have had a scant few UTIs in my life, and I've always had the "burning while urinating" symptom. I don't have that right now, but in the past couple of weeks, I sometimes have felt like I did not empty my bladder entirely, but if I continue to TRY to empty it, that the baby will fall out (I'm 34 weeks today). That feeling didn't happen every time I peed or even every day, but enough to be noticeable. Now, sometimes when I'm just walking around, I have to stop and let the little guy get his wiggles out because the wiggles hurt (not just in the bladder area, but that's where most of the pain happens when it does). The pain stops if he's not moving or if he shifts into a less painful position.

BUT... I had my regular OB appointment yesterday, where they of course did a urine dip. I noticed while gathering my sample that it seemed cloudier than usual, but I didn't think anything of it. That office has you take the sample into the exam room with you, and they dip a strip right there and leave it for the doctor to look at later. While I'm bored and waiting, I like to look at it myself, too, lol. The first square on the test was for leukocytes, and according to the bottle, a completely negative result would have been pale yellow, and various positive results would have been shades of purple from lavender to eggplant. My leukocytes square on the strip looked medium purple. Definitely not yellow. But neither the nurse nor the doctor said anything about it, apparently checking just for the protein and sugar?

And I didn't do a "clean catch" so there could have been some contamination from elsewhere, but I've peeked at my test strips a few times before and it's always been negative for everything.

I'm just confused.

RunawayBunny 11-15-2012 06:01 PM

With your symptoms coming and going it sounds like baby position more than a uti. I always felt like I had to pee that late with DS. He'd also sit in ways that would really hurt and I'd have to change positions or sit down to make him move. Uti symptoms wouldn't disappear- they'd get worse. And if you have an asymptotic uti (meaning no symptoms but your urine tests positive for infection) then you shouldnt treat it anyway (according to my infectious disease nurse mother).

I also did a quick google search and most sites said a lot of women will get a positive and not to worry unless you are having symptoms. So I wouldnt worry unless your symptoms get consistent.

bigmamakelsey 11-15-2012 06:06 PM

Re: UTI with no symptoms or just third-trimester pressure?

It's probably just pressure from the baby, but I'd have your urine tested just in case. I had a hidden UTI (I'd had them before and knew what they felt like, and the one I had pregnant went completely undetected.) that turned into a kidney infection and oh my GOODNESS was it ever painful. I'd say to get tested just in case.

Harmony96 11-15-2012 06:11 PM

I'm going to go in and see my PCP tomorrow. I'm sort of in between OBs right now. Then I can tell her the whole story and get tested... if I can manage to get a good catch this far along, lol. I can't see the cup anymore, rofl.

Harmony96 11-16-2012 12:56 PM

Still leukocytes in my urine even with a clean catch this morning. They're going to culture it and call me Monday. They gave me a prescription for antibiotics which I have not filled yet. Will wait and see what happens Monday and take cranberries all weekend. The doctor is agreeable to this plan.

infojunqie 11-25-2012 12:59 PM

Good job, mama. I always say, trust your gut. It doesn't hurt anything to have that culture run, just in case. Pregnancy UTIs can be asymptomatic and can turn into bigger problems if left untreated. You did the right thing. Hope everything turns out well for you.

calleiah 11-25-2012 01:08 PM

I had that issue with my last kiddo. He was posterior and his head was always on my bladder, sort of pinching it in half so completely emptying my bladder was super hard. I found that if I gently lifted my belly, it would relieve the pressure from his his head enough to finish emptying my bladder. I also noticed my urine wasn't clear at that time. I figured it was due to urine getting caught in there and sitting longer.

MommaLEB 11-25-2012 01:08 PM

Could be either, with no symptoms you might not have a large number of leuks in your urine. Culture is always best when there is any question. Did you happen to notice your nitrite level?

Also, that's really poor practice. Those strips need to be read at certain time intervals to be accurate.

Harmony96 01-01-2013 10:04 AM

I never did get a UTI. They called on Monday and the only thing growing was GBS. Then later, when I had my vaginal GBS swab, I was positive. So I guess it was that.