Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anyone had their tonsils removed? UPDATED: Surgery is scheduled (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464027)

UnderTheStars 11-15-2012 06:15 PM

Anyone had their tonsils removed? UPDATED: Surgery is scheduled

Has anyone had their tonsils removed as an adult? Was the recovery as horrible as they make it sound?

UPDATE 12/19: I saw a new ENT today and he said mine need to come out - he said the size difference is "concerning" and wants them biopsied (one is 3x larger than the other). So, looks like I will be getting the surgery Jan 14th after all. Based on the horrific accounts here, it sounds like a wonderful way to start out 2013...

So, if my husband takes the first two days off of work, is it reasonable to expect that I can care for my kids (3 and almost 5) by myself after that? What foods should I keep on hand? Any other recovery suggestions for me?

keen1981 11-15-2012 06:20 PM

Yes! It damn well is!!! Omg!! It was the most horrific experience of my life! BUT I would do it again. It completely changed my health. Recurrent strep was ruining my life. I was always dealing with sore throats, ect.

I had'pitted tonsils. They did not 'hang down' much. Instead they were tucked into my throat. So it made the surgery a little more intense. But it really was horrible.

slimy72 11-15-2012 06:23 PM

Re: Anyone had their tonsils removed?

It was 100 times worse than anyone told me it would be! It was horrible!!!!!! I did get an infection so that may have something to do with it, but I had a 103 degree fever for a week that no one could get down. I don't remember much from that first week. I had to have some one with me 24/7 and pack ice around my body every 30 min. both to keep the pain and the fever at bay. My mom, dad, and dh took shifts sitting with me round the clock. It was absolutely the worst experience of my life. And I've had 3 surgeries in 3 years. It took me a full year and a half to quit coughing up blood. I would NEVER do it again. But I will say that now that I"m two years out I am greatful it's done and over with because I was getting strep 5+ times a year before. Oh, and mine had been so swollen and oozing puss for over a month when they finally did it all I could eat was popscicles, BEFORE the surgery so it needed to happen as they couldn't get the infection under control. But they ended up being "embedded" into my throat and they said they really had to dig so that added to my rough recovery.

7 for now 11-15-2012 06:32 PM

I had mine out at 19 for recurrent strep that became abx resistant and I landed in the hospital for IV abx then we took them out. The scab on tthe tonsils was the worst for me. When it started healing you could feel it going up and down or throat with each swallow. That was so gross.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

somo_chickenlady 11-15-2012 06:32 PM

I double, triple, quadruple what the previous ladies said. It sucked. I would do it again in a heartbeat, though, b/c I was ALWAYS sick before I had them removed, and now I hardly ever get sick, and I feel so much better all the time b/c I also had pitted tonsils. The pain and suffering was worth it.

keen1981 11-15-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
I double, triple, quadruple what the previous ladies said. It sucked. I would do it again in a heartbeat, though, b/c I was ALWAYS sick before I had them removed, and now I hardly ever get sick, and I feel so much better all the time b/c I also had pitted tonsils. The pain and suffering was worth it.

Looks like those of use with embedded or pitted were the ones who needed the surgery!?? I wonder if that the majority of adults needing it? Idk. But let's say, I lost 15 pounds, couldn't OPEN my mouth for a week and in order to eat had to suck on cheese. LOL! And my breath wasps horrible no one would stay in my room with me. Hahaha!! I couldn't do 'soft' food. Even that required swallowing. And after surgery even water felt like glass going down. But it's like my water birth. It was so painful- indescribable.. But worth it. And at least you get meds for tonsils, lol

bluedaisyma 11-15-2012 07:07 PM

I was 16. hurt hurt hurt but way better than the 16 previous winters where I was on penicillan the entire winer, every yr with strep. have only gotten strep once or twice in the 26 yr since then. do it.

Rockinmama24 11-15-2012 07:21 PM

Not as an adult but at 15. It was awful. I got a nasty infection afterwards that took months to get rid of. I had them out in Nov. & I had the infection until May! I had to be on homebound from school because they had to isolate me as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Pikemommy 11-15-2012 07:29 PM

I was 25 and they came out shortly after I had mono (like, land you in the hospital with organ failure kind of mono, not the I slept for a couple weeks mono). My tonsils got so big with the mono that they wouldn't go back down, I actually had a collapsed airway and lung because of them :-( They removed pitted tonsils, adenoids, and part of my soft palate. I don't remember much of the recovery, but I'm told it was horrendous and not your typical case.

bumminbeachbabe 11-15-2012 07:29 PM

I had them out shortly after my oldest turned one. It was awful. I wound up almost admitted after the surgery due to dehydration. My tonsils were crazy pitted and nasty before the surgery.

I was fortunate to have my parents available to help care for me and my baby. I sometimes wonder if the recovery would have been easier if I hadn't been nursing as well.

Eta: I've only had strep once since the surgery, so it was worth it to me.