Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   car seat options for a tall toddler? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464052)

mummy2lolo 11-15-2012 06:53 PM

car seat options for a tall toddler?

My 22 MO has outgrown her Eddie Bauer car seat (which I hated!) as the should straps are below her shoulders now. I need a new one, but my budget is tight and the selection where I live is limited and prices inflated. We had a 2nd car seat a triumph, but the airline lost it and I have to admit although it was basic we really found it easy.

I'd like to keep her rear facing longer, but it's getting hard to get her in now - so forward facing is probably where we are going. She is 29 lbs, not sure of her height but she is very tall. My car is small a hyundai matrix and does not have latch.

Any reccs for a convertible? Brands I can get here are graco, evenflo, safety first and britax. My budget is tight, should I spend as much as I can on a convertible that goes up to 65 lbs and hope it will work for her for many more years or buy a more affordable FF and then move on to a booster when she is ready?

I have been checking out all the sites and reading lots - it's overwhelming I am hoping to get some help here! I was thinking the nautilus, but then read so many reviews about the crotch strap being too short.

luvsviola 11-15-2012 07:00 PM

Re: car seat options for a tall toddler?

For Rear Facing:

Britax seats have 17 in top harness
Evenflo Momentum is 17.5, the rest are shorter
Graco Size4Me is 17.5
SafetyFirst Guide 65 (good budget seat at about $80 at Walmart) is 17.5

For Forward Facing on a budget---Evenflo Maestro or Evenflo Secure Kids. Super tall. Easy to install. Nice to travel with. My 5 year old still fits fine at 42 inches with room to grow.

brigala 11-15-2012 07:14 PM

If you can afford it, the Graco Size4Me aka Graco MySize is your best bet. I've heard a rumor that it's on sale for $142 at Babies R Us right now (the one sold under the name MySize 70).

It will last most children, even very tall ones, until they're ready for a booster, and in the meantime you can turn your LO back to rear-facing.

breefawn 11-15-2012 07:43 PM

I love, love, love our Safety First Air 65! It fits amazingly in the small rear of my car, and DS is still rear facing, and will continue until he outgrows the RF (40/40), which will probably be around 3, so I've got another 6 months or so ;) I also drive a Hyundai, if that helps. It secures REALLY easily with a belt for BOTH RF & FF. And it's not terribly expensive. :thumbsup:

IowaGold 11-15-2012 08:24 PM

How much shell does she have above her head? If she's still rear facing, the shoulder straps are *supposed* be to at or below her shoulders...

Computermama 11-15-2012 10:57 PM

Signs that your child has outgrown a seat rear facing

-> they have reached the weight limit
-> there is less than 1 inch of hard shell above their head.

Straps coming out below the child's shoulders is actually the way they're supposed to be, and not a sign that the seat needs replacing. Straps should be even with or below a child's shoulders for rear facing and even with or above for forward facing.

If she truly is outgrowing her seat, I'd recommend the First years (occasionally compass I believe) true fit. It's not too expensive and has a super high shell for tall skinny toddlers, and it FF to 65lbs as well when she gets there.

brigala 11-16-2012 10:33 AM

I just re-read your post and realized that although I assumed you meant she's outgrowing an Eddie Bauer convertible, you didn't actually write that. Is she outgrowing an infant seat or a convertible? Sorry if this seems obvious, but you'd be amazed at the things I see as a tech sometimes.

Can you please clarify exactly which model of Eddie Bauer seat you have? It would also be very helpful to post a picture of her in it. This will help us be able to make better recommendations.

mummy2lolo 11-16-2012 06:18 PM

It's the Eddie Bauer deluxe, I still have her RF and the straps are just level with her shoulders and it seems no matter how I adjust it she wiggles herself out in the shoulder area and then sometimes frees her arms too. I can't seem to get it adjusted right for her length. I am having a really hard time getting her into this thing, she absolutely hates it.

I will check out the safety first models we have where I live- hopefully we have the 65.

Thanks everyone for all your help and input.

jjordan 11-16-2012 06:24 PM

The Safety 1st seat is probably somewhat similar to what you already have, so if you hate what you have, then I'm thinking you probably won't like it. It does sound like your dd hasn't necessarily outgrown her current seat though; as a pp said, when a child is rear facing, the straps are supposed to be at or below shoulder level. However, a child escaping her seat is a problem regardless of whether or not it's outgrown!

mummy2lolo 11-16-2012 06:37 PM

my family is coming from Canada in a few weeks and will bring me a car seat. So that improves my selection :) and stretches the budget.

is this the right Safety First?
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....uctId=11862920