Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   too much solids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464109)

dnh 11-16-2012 12:06 AM

too much solids?

my ds is 5 1/2 months old and we introduced solids at 4 1/2 months. not to really feed him or supplement in anyway, but just to give him tastes of some of the things he would be eating soon. and the fact he would freak out when dh and i would eat.

everything we tried he absolutely loved and after a certain amount i would not give him any more and he would scream his head off. im sure it was pretty impossible that he was still hungry. i think he just liked it so much he didnt want it to end.

i was convinced it was too much so i looked up portion sizes and everything i read was to feed baby until he decides he is done. i tried this the next day with papaya and he ate two really big pieces. a little bigger than my hand! i cut him off once again and he screamed for more. i thought it might have been because it was sweet so i tried chayote (squash) with carrot. same thing.. took down 6oz. before i stopped him.

i ed him this way for about 3 weeks and then one day we had a crazy crazy schedule and i didnt get to feed him the solids.. and he did fine. so i tried again ebf and for the past 2 weeks things have been fine so i am starting to think i shouldnt have introduced anything to begin with.. but he took so much maybe he needs it? ahh :banghead: is there a much thing as too much solids at one sitting?

any and all advice/suggestions welcome!

c&w's mama 11-16-2012 11:58 AM

Re: too much solids?

I was worried about that too. I have no real answer, just that I didn't limit my DS much in the end and he's fine. dude loves to eat.

just one story- not saying its right ;)

Rdesonia 11-16-2012 07:52 PM

Is he spitting up afterward? That is a clear sign of too much. Often kids will want more or less based on growth spurts, teething, attention, or ?? some reason mommy can't figure out.

Try giving him a spoon to play with and have him feed himself at the end of a feeding (it's messy but will give his brain time to recognize his belly is full).

dnh 11-17-2012 07:07 PM

no spitting up at all.. but i like the spoon idea. will try it out. thanks!

Jomama521 12-08-2012 07:20 AM

I am worried about this too! My 6 month old eats everything we give him and has only showed signs of being full once. He doesn't get angry when I think he has had enough though. I think he enjoys being a big kid and eating. He really likes to play with the spoon.

ErinJenna 12-12-2012 09:21 AM

Been having the same issue with my almost 6 month old! I decided to test him and see how much he would eat, and the most he's eaten before showing signs of being full (distracted, not "voracious" lol) was 4 oz of veggie, and 8 tbsp of baby oatmeal plus water or juice (lil guy tends to get constipated). So basically like 6 freakin' bowls of food!! But, he did eventually get full so I figured as long as he's not puking it up, he'll let me know when he's done!

vmomma 12-12-2012 11:10 PM

I have a huge eater on my hands as well. Actually, I was just thinking about bumping her up to 3 meals/day instead of 2. She's almost 7 months, and will scream at the site of a bowl. The girl loves to eat and I'm SO thankful. After having a micropreemie who pretty much refused all solids by mouth from 1-2 years, I'm ready for an easy feeder! Juliet loves to feed herself and really likes table foods. I rarely give her purees. If your worried about the amount, try letting him feed himself and that may challenge him and keep him occupied longer, and he won't take in as much volume. I don't really worry about the amount, because Jules tolerates everything she eats without constipation or spitting.

SarasynFox 12-15-2012 04:39 PM

Just a thought, it wasn't unusual for my middle son to eat 12oz of baby food when he was a baby, around 6-8 months. He kept going to that speed for a couple of months. He was perfectly fine. He was just a hungry, hungry baby and going through some growth. He evened out after a while and doesn't eat at all like he used to.