Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   If you buy diatomaceous earth- food grade, where? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464128)

blane,j,&morgansmom 11-16-2012 05:45 AM

If you buy diatomaceous earth- food grade, where?

I was told that I should be using diatomaceous earth food grade by several people. We do not have fleas, but I treat my home bi weekly just in case. Yes, Im paranoid. This is our first indoor/outdoor dog and it scares the poo outta me to think these insects could live with us! So if you buy this (food grade) where? I have found it on amazon, but wonder if I could find it cheaper elsewhere?

daddyn4wisechix 11-16-2012 06:53 AM

Re: If you buy diatomaceous earth- food grade, where?

I got mine from a feed store... they use food grade because it is meant to feed to the animals via their feed, but I would still ask that it is food grade, just to be sure!

kalynn 11-16-2012 07:07 AM

We buy food grade DE at EarthWorks (online). We eat it and give to our chickens and other pets. It is good for dusting the animals and house with too. There are no other additives. What is at the feed store (like Tractor Supply) does have other ingredients.

daddyn4wisechix 11-16-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalynn (Post 15939298)
There are no other additives. What is at the feed store (like Tractor Supply) does have other ingredients.

Hmmmm, got ours from a private feed store... was told it is just DE & the bag says the same :headscratch:...

Jenette 11-16-2012 02:38 PM

I bought a full bag of food grade DE (I think about $40) from our local feed store

Chris10 11-18-2012 12:51 PM

What are you planning to use it for? Unless you are going to sprinkle it on your floors and furniture...? That would work/be necessary if you had an infestation, but for a deterrent, that's just going to make a mess! Are you planning to feed it to your dog? Feeding DE only works to eliminate parasites from the intestines.

I know fleas vary from one place to another, but I haven't found them to be a big deal. IF I see one on one of my dogs, I treat the dogs with Frontline or Advantage. I've only had to do it twice (in the past 5 years or so). You are supposed to treat them like every three months, but I don't like the idea of pesticides coursing through their veins. After treating them, I saw no more fleas (for a few years). Never saw any in the house or bites on anyone people in the family.

artangelsp 11-18-2012 12:59 PM

I have bought it at garden supply centers/ sections of big hardware stores as well. I don't believe it had any added ingredients but we weren't ingesting it either.

ollie_mama 11-21-2012 09:23 PM

I got mine on eBay. the brand is SafeDE I think.. good luck. you can also use borax on the carpets to kill fleas and their eggs, it works great!

vjbakke 11-28-2012 04:32 PM

We get ours at Fleet Farm ( similar to a feed store with more) It's about $16 for a 50 lb bag or food grade DE. We use it in our coop and in the bunny cage.

leyash 11-28-2012 04:49 PM

Would not recommend using Borax if you have small kids (or kids on the floor) or animals that roll around on floors.

Also, a good dose of Frontline will work better than anything else you could try. It kills already existing fleas, and keeps them away. it's about $60 for a three month supply. DE won't work as a preventative.