Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Kids at birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464142)

MyM&W 11-16-2012 07:02 AM

Kids at birth?

When my 2nd child was born my DD was there for the entire process. She was 3yrs 3 months old. I'm pregnant again and this has been on my mind. When this baby is born DD will be 7yrs and ds will be 3yrs 10 months old. I want them to be there...mainly for the last part of labor so they can witness the babe being born. But wasn't sure since DD is older, and ds is always so concerned with my well being. My DD still remembers when her brother was born. :) did your children attend births? How did they react?

finleyjudemommy 11-16-2012 07:12 AM

Re: Kids at birth?

I was actually debating the same thing...I have twins that will be almost 8 and a singleton that will be almost 6. My DD that is almost 8 wants to be there but I just don't know......

carlycurry 11-16-2012 07:14 AM

My son will be 6, but there's no way he's going to be in the room for the birth... I just feel that's too young, and could be scary for a child.

JennTheMomma 11-16-2012 07:22 AM

My boys will be attending this birth. They will be almost 6 and 3 years of age. They've seen lots of birth videos of all kinds of births and momma's making all kinds or no noise. I have talked to them how baby will come out and that I may make noise (I normally dno't though, I go inside myself and am very quiet), or close me eyes, I might cry, etc. But all that is normal and that I'm ok.

cheezpoofs 11-16-2012 07:40 AM

My kids are only going to be four and almost two when I give birth to the baby, so I think they are too young to really care or understand. Ideally, if they are awake, the plan is to have their grandmother come and take them to her house while I give birth so that we can focus on the birth and not worry about the boys. If it's the middle of the night and they are sleeping in bed, we will leave them where they are. I wouldn't mind them being here, but don't want them to be unsupervised or have Daddy unable to be present for the birth because he's tending to the older boys.

oregonmom 11-16-2012 08:16 AM

For my last birth my boys were almost 2 and 5. They wandered in and out of the room where I was birthing, but really were not all that interested till their brother was out and crying. All three will be at the birth this time, but can choose if they want to watch or not. They will be 5,7, and around 11(this baby is due on oldest son's birthday, if it is early he will be 10)

stacieandtheboys 11-16-2012 08:26 AM

My boys were asleep during most of my labor and woke while I was In transition. They didn't want to come in at 6 and 9 years. They stayed in the living room and watched tv.

Nerissa 11-16-2012 08:44 AM

I didn't want anyone but DH at the birth. Not even my mom. She waited in the waiting room with DS1.

TwinKristi 11-16-2012 11:23 AM

My best friend just had a baby 2wks ago and had her 8yr old there. She did well but said she never wants to have a baby now. :-( It was too gross and icky. LOL she loves babies and was very excited but I don't think she was really 100% ready for it. They watched shows like the Baby Story but didn't watch any actual "graphic" videos of birth which I think would have helped a little. She didn't understand why she couldn't be there for the epidural which took quite awhile. I'm glad I was there because her sister and dad left and no one would have been there with her during the epidural if her dh had to wait with their dd ya know?
I wouldn't be able to concentrate with my boys there, it would be too much for me but to each their own.

Harmony96 11-16-2012 12:59 PM

I've asked DD if she wants to be there, and she does. If it's in the middle of the night, we'll try to wake her up (although she is quite the sound sleeper) but let DS keep sleeping. If it's during the day, I don't care if both kids are there. They've seen me in pain and suffering before and handle it well. DD strokes my arm and tells me it'll be okay. DS just does whatever DD does, lol.