Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   should i give her more??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464163)

shortcake2386 11-16-2012 09:08 AM

should i give her more???

dd takes 4oz of BM every 3 hours. but when the bottle is gone she screams until she realizes her pac i is in her mouth:headscratch: but theres no way she could need more, right? she is 4.5 months and 10lbs.....could it be the reflux and that she just wants to suck???any opinions?

leyash 11-16-2012 09:11 AM

Re: should i give her more???

If she'll eat, I'd let her eat. She may be going through a growth spurt. If she throws up afterwards, then you'll know that it is too much. I've always nursed on demand.

shortcake2386 11-16-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 15939668)
If she'll eat, I'd let her eat. She may be going through a growth spurt. If she throws up afterwards, then you'll know that it is too much. I've always nursed on demand.

yeah i nursed my others on demand....she has reflux, she always spits up. sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

Nerissa 11-16-2012 11:34 AM

Hmm-- My DD is 8 weeks and 12lbs and takes 3.5oz every 3 hours. Granted this is only the third day I have been back to work but each time she is happy after.

I would try increasing the amount by a 1/2 ounce and see if that helps. If it doesn't make a difference go back to the 4oz and give her the paci.

Another thought--could it be too much at one time? Maybe try a little less and see if that makes a difference.

keen1981 11-16-2012 12:52 PM

No. That's plenty for a breastfed baby. Use the kellymom milk calculator for reference

Bottle feeding does not equal breastfeeding. They both feed baby but are DIFFERENT methods. The tummy is the size of her fist. Breastfed babies tend to eat once ounce per hour. I'd honestly feed closer to 2-2.5 hours. And that amount of ounces.

Remember breastfed babies must WORK to eat. A bottle fed baby is force fed. Each swallow creates a vacuum that fills their mouths, forcing another swallow. They do not work for this. So that 'suck urge' is not satisfied. It's also not the same experience as nursing. So crying is common. A bottle fed baby often eats until they are over stuffed and then learns to require that over stuffed feeling.

I real a study in my lactation course where they had found a correlation with bottle feeding and obesity later in life- the thought is not that it's the bottle- but that it's over feeding by the bottle that could lead to this.

shortcake2386 11-16-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15940588)
No. That's plenty for a breastfed baby. Use the kellymom milk calculator for reference

Bottle feeding does not equal breastfeeding. They both feed baby but are DIFFERENT methods. The tummy is the size of her fist. Breastfed babies tend to eat once ounce per hour. I'd honestly feed closer to 2-2.5 hours. And that amount of ounces.

Remember breastfed babies must WORK to eat. A bottle fed baby is force fed. Each swallow creates a vacuum that fills their mouths, forcing another swallow. They do not work for this. So that 'suck urge' is not satisfied. It's also not the same experience as nursing. So crying is common. A bottle fed baby often eats until they are over stuffed and then learns to require that over stuffed feeling.

I real a study in my lactation course where they had found a correlation with bottle feeding and obesity later in life- the thought is not that it's the bottle- but that it's over feeding by the bottle that could lead to this.

thats exactly why i havent given her more. she doesnt/cant suck anyways. she WANTS to but lacks the muscle strength in her mouth. she kind of just gnaws on it. so im thinking that suck necessitty isnt being met:(

keen1981 11-16-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386
thats exactly why i havent given her more. she doesnt/cant suck anyways. she WANTS to but lacks the muscle strength in her mouth. she kind of just gnaws on it. so im thinking that suck necessitty isnt being met:(

Yes, sometimes a nonpaci baby will accept it if mommy holds it there during a swaddle or whatever. Then they can suck while they sleep too. Bonus!

shortcake2386 11-16-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 15941364)
Yes, sometimes a nonpaci baby will accept it if mommy holds it there during a swaddle or whatever. Then they can suck while they sleep too. Bonus!

lol no she loves her paci just has issues sucking on anything. but she loves having it in her mouth and chewing on it:giggle:

PurpleDaffodil 11-17-2012 10:01 AM

4.5 months old and 10 lbs? Was she a preemie?

My 13 lbs 9 weeker takes 4 oz every 3 hours and screams afterward :(

katydid6952 11-17-2012 09:32 PM

my 20-lb 4.5 month old takes (6) 5.5-6oz bottles of breastmilk a day.