Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dry pail stinking up my house! HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464167)

Samantha313 11-16-2012 09:18 AM

Dry pail stinking up my house! HELP!

I keep my dry pail in my first floor bathroom. You know, the one guests use. I know it sounds gross, but it's in the corner and I close the lid when people are over. I've been CDing for almost 5 months and I'm just now having stinky pail issues. I can smell the stink through my house unless the bathroom door is closed. Any advice on how to get rid of the stink?! At this point I just want to put the entire pail in the garage!

Puffy Bums 11-16-2012 09:21 AM

Re: Dry pail stinking up my house! HELP!

We have our pail in the downstairs bathroom as well. We use a sprayer before we put the diapers in the pail and do not have an issue. Sometimes I smell the urine, but mostly only when I open it to add a diaper. Do you have a sprayer?

mariamommy 11-16-2012 09:30 AM

The actual pail and lid might need a cleaning. Do you use a pail liner and not clean out the pail that often?

Samantha313 11-16-2012 09:37 AM

I've never cleaned the pail. I use a liner that gets washed every diaper wash. I'll try that. Also, I do use a sprayer for poopies. Should I be using it on urine diapers too?
Thanks ladies!!

thealmightyme 11-16-2012 09:40 AM

I have found spraying the can and the dipes with bum genius deodorizer, or bac out helps tremendously.

abunchoflemons 11-16-2012 09:42 AM

Try wet pail? I had less stink that way.

keonli 11-16-2012 09:55 AM

Are you adding baking soda or anything else to the pail? With DS, I used a regular metal pail with a liner, and dry pailed for up to 3 days without stink being an issue (you got a whiff when you opened it up though but it wasn't unbearable). I added a dash of baking soda daily to help ward off stink.

AmandaA 11-16-2012 10:25 AM

I rinse all of my diapers with my sprayer before pailing. It helped more than using a true dry pail and trying to cover any smells with an EO or pail freshener (I tried the RNG version). Also helped with our FL'er wash routine too.

alaskamum 11-16-2012 10:59 AM

What do you wash with? My diaper pail smelled awful when I was using cd-friendly detergents, it stunk up my whole upstairs. Once I switched to Tide the pail never smells. I can smell it when I dump it in the washer but that's how close you have to be to smell anything.
I never rinsed pee diaper separately, and washed every other day.

disneylindsay 11-16-2012 11:02 AM

I got rid of a pail for that exact reason and now just have a very large Rumparooz Wet bag...it is massive and I have 2 that I alternate between while washing the other and the diapers that were in it...I never have stink issues with it...it never leaks and it's kind of cute because of the bag designs!