Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   $250... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464237)

Angel89411 11-16-2012 12:40 PM

$250...

1 year check up, sick visit, meds for double ear infection- all for ds2. I woke up with an eye infection and between the dr visit and meds ($92 with insurance!) plus we both have a follow up visit scheduled. $250. I am thankful for our insurance. Very thankful we had the money. But wow.

MommaLEB 11-16-2012 01:02 PM

Re: $250...

I hear ya. We have pretty decent insurance for our area, yet at 15 weeks I've wracked up over $500 out of pocket costs. Can't wait until the new deductible year starts so we can do it all over again. :dontlikeit:

jam's mum 11-16-2012 01:02 PM

Oy. I know. We've still got over $1000 outstanding from a trip to the emergency room in August, and I want to weep every time I think about it, even though I know we're lucky.

Hope you guys feel better soon!

Kiliki 11-16-2012 01:07 PM

Our ins doesn't cover ANYTHING until we meet our $3,000 per person deductible.

Oy.

I may as well just be a self-pay client and pocket the ins premium each month.

:hugs: I'm sorry. Healthcare issues suck. And it sucks even worse when the ins you pay so much to have does practically nothing in the way of helping you lower your OOP cost. :(

myclanof6 11-16-2012 01:34 PM

I think me and DH have decided that this next year for ins. we are just going to start putting that $ aside in a savings account instead of paying the premiums. We've been blessed that each member of the family only ends up seeing the Dr 1x, maybe 2x a year for sick visits. I haven't been at all this yr, ODS hasn't been, but DH and the other boys have been 1-2x each. It will be cheaper that way. DD has Medicaid so all of her meds and Dr appts are covered. It's almost pointless for an average family with no major health concerns to have insurance because it seems like you pay more for the premiums than if you paid OOP for a sick visit. Obviously a trip to the ER would be costly, but the hospital here is happy to work with cash patients and they give a really great discount if you are paying cash and set up payment arraignments.

wyoming butterfly 11-16-2012 01:39 PM

But with Obomacare you will have to have insurance no matter what. SUCKS

Kiliki 11-16-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myclanof6 (Post 15940787)
I think me and DH have decided that this next year for ins. we are just going to start putting that $ aside in a savings account instead of paying the premiums. We've been blessed that each member of the family only ends up seeing the Dr 1x, maybe 2x a year for sick visits. I haven't been at all this yr, ODS hasn't been, but DH and the other boys have been 1-2x each. It will be cheaper that way. DD has Medicaid so all of her meds and Dr appts are covered. It's almost pointless for an average family with no major health concerns to have insurance because it seems like you pay more for the premiums than if you paid OOP for a sick visit. Obviously a trip to the ER would be costly, but the hospital here is happy to work with cash patients and they give a really great discount if you are paying cash and set up payment arraignments.

This is what we are going to do starting next year.

We pay out the nose for our ins and we NEVER use it. It's a total joke - the worst ins. It would only really help with something like brain cancer or a horrendous accident or something. But even WITH it, we would still wind up claiming bankruptcy or making payments to the hospital b/c the decuctibles are so high and what they cover after we meet the deductible is so limited, and then they only cover 80%. So it's pretty useless.

We are keeping it just for now b/c we will hit the deductible next yr with the baby's birth, and then we will have a few medical expenses, so it will wind up helping us rather than hurting us. But overall, it's a total joke and a complete waste of money. I'm sure I'm basically just helping to pay for some big-shot insurance company mogul to drive a nice fancy car and fly in his private jet. B/c it certainly isn't helping our family any.

VinhThiMom 11-16-2012 01:48 PM

I love love love my insurance. It is literally saving my life. My insurance has been billed over $100k this year for me alone (no surgeries yet, but I'm having one in a week or so and another in January). I've paid around $4k of that, plus $500/month for all 4 of us.

chandni3 11-16-2012 01:56 PM

I'm so sorry, I get stressed just reading all the replies. With my husband's job in construction causing him minor injuries several times a year and another baby on the way already and all the problems I had with my miscarriage and a crazy allergic reaction a couple weeks ago, I'm so thankful I live in Canada. We would have lost everything if we didn't have socialized health care. I wish you all the very best of health.

myclanof6 11-16-2012 02:00 PM

I know exactly what you mean about the monthly costs, there are 6, soon to be 7 of us. DH started a new job a couple of months ago so we are all in limbo right now waiting on his company to start their enrollment in a few weeks. He has free coverage (which is nice, but they have no copays, you pay OOP until you meet the 5k deductible, then they cover 80%) but it would cost all of us $800 for halfway decent insurance! DD will have Medicaid for the rest of her life because of hearing loss (from chemo) and as long as DH is covered under his employer then I'm hoping we can fly under the radar and not have to have insurance. It's just ridiculous that we pay so much for barely anything. Like pp, it feels like we are paying for someones luxury car rather than paying for something that will benefit us.