Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Advent Calendar Suggestions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464327)

Fishie Kisses 11-16-2012 05:13 PM

Advent Calendar Suggestions

So for our Advent Calendar this year, instead of candy, my awesome husband had the great idea to do Bible verses! So I figured we could read the Christmas story in a progression over the 24 days. I was also thinking each piece of paper could have a Christmas movie on it that we watch after dinner. Any tips on how to execute this in a way that will keep young children interested?

Geckmumto3 11-16-2012 05:57 PM

Re: Advent Calendar Suggestions

I love that idea. Last year I chose from our hefty collection of Christmas themed books and movies, wrapped them up and piled them on the hutch in the dining room. The kids took turns opening one per night, and we would read or watch the movie. I timed it so the movies fell on good (convenient) movie nights, but otherwise they were Christmas story books.

coffeemama 11-16-2012 05:59 PM

Love the Christmas book idea!

MsGiggles 11-16-2012 06:29 PM

I would second adding books into the mix. A whole movie per night for 25 days sounds really hard to do! Books most nights and a movie once or twice a week sounds fun though. :)

Are you looking for suggestions of Christian-specific movies or any Christmas or winter-themed movie?

Fishie Kisses 11-16-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsGiggles
I would second adding books into the mix. A whole movie per night for 25 days sounds really hard to do! Books most nights and a movie once or twice a week sounds fun though. :)

Are you looking for suggestions of Christian-specific movies or any Christmas or winter-themed movie?

Anything is good! I was thinking shorter animated stuff on weeknights like Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Frosty, etc. and the longer ones for weekends. I do like books too. I wonder if I could find some cheap somewhere?? We have a book...it's huge...with Christmas stories, but it's all in one book

Bella Catalina 11-16-2012 07:05 PM

We're going to do a Jesse Tree this year, and we also wrap our Christmas books and they choose one per night.

Fishie Kisses 11-16-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella Catalina
We're going to do a Jesse Tree this year, and we also wrap our Christmas books and they choose one per night.

What's a Jesse tree??

dressagemom 11-16-2012 07:13 PM

Not an Advent calendar, but we really like reading Jotham's Journey, which is an Advent story. We are going to read Tabitha's Travels this year, by the same author. Our children always look forward to reading; sometimes we skip a day or two on purpose, just so we can read a little more the next day.

Fishie Kisses 11-16-2012 11:24 PM

So we decided to go with this:

http://www.dltk-bible.com/advent/index.htm

It's a coloring page progression. My children are almost 5, almost 3 and 18m. I wanted something they would understand but have fun with too. I'm really excited to do this. As they get older, we will probably branch out to the movies and books.

MsGiggles 11-17-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie Kisses (Post 15941959)
Anything is good! I was thinking shorter animated stuff on weeknights like Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Frosty, etc. and the longer ones for weekends. I do like books too. I wonder if I could find some cheap somewhere?? We have a book...it's huge...with Christmas stories, but it's all in one book

Wrap up library books! :thumbsup: Seriously, the gift is the time reading together not keeping the actual book. Plus, the library will likely have a lot of those movies, too. If you put holds on soon, or staggered, you should be able to pull most of it off for free!